Samantha Hollingshead | Photo Editor

Ohio State community members walk across the many paths on the Oval. Samantha Hollingshead | Photo Editor

The Oval is located at the heart of Ohio State’s campus. Thousands of students pass fellow Buckeyes on the crisscrossed paths that have been a part of the OSU landscape for more than a century.

Usually, there are people sitting under the big trees and holding books or their laptops. The Oval has been an open, free area where people can read while enjoying the sunshine and breeze.

“When the weather is nice, I like to sit (on the Oval) and study,” said Jennifer Samiec, a second-year in microbiology. “When it’s nicer, I take naps, depending on the mood and the weather. There are also a lot of students walking around. Sometimes my friends just come up and say, ‘hi.’”

Some students say one of the most important factors that determine whether people go to the Oval is warm weather. When the winter winds disappear and people can shed their down jackets, they are more likely to spend time outside.

“Now it’s warmer and the sun is out,” said Sam Henry, a fourth-year in neuroscience. “But I haven’t been out here in a really long time because of the weather.”

Some people take their dogs for a walk or let them run freely on the Oval’s grass. When the weather warms up, people lounge in the grass or doze off in hammocks.

“I like coming to the Oval to study and also hang out,” said Abby Hammond, a second-year in education. “I usually pass the football with my friends. There are a lot of trees and open space. The Oval is just really pretty.”