OSU coach Tom Ryan congratulates freshman Myles Martin on a quarterfinals win at the NCAA championships at Madison Square Garden. Credit: Courtesy of Ben Solomon | OSU Athletics

OSU coach Tom Ryan congratulates freshman Myles Martin on a quarterfinals win at the NCAA championships at Madison Square Garden.
Credit: Courtesy of Ben Solomon | OSU Athletics

NEW YORK CITY — Ohio State wrestling coach Tom Ryan was disappointed in the results his team produced in the second day of the NCAA tournament. After a poor showing that resulted in the Buckeyes dropping three of five matches on Friday, OSU bounced back for an undefeated final day to finish third overall.

On top of the undefeated third showing on Saturday, the Scarlet and Gray captured 174- and 285-pound individual titles.

Session V

A trio of matches started the morning session for the NCAA tournament, and redshirt sophomore Nate Tomasello was on the center mat to battle for a chance at third place. And even after a shocking and devastating loss the day prior, the Parma, Ohio, native delivered a stellar performance.

Tomasello seemed to return to his regular form, which earned him more than 40 straight victories prior to his quarterfinal defeat.

Redshirt sophomore Bo Jordan turned his tournament around as well, picking up an 8-2 decision win over David McFadden of Virginia Tech. The runner-up at 165 pounds from the Big Ten tournament fought off a takedown early and spun around his opponent for two points, causing Ryan to leap from his chair in excitement.

A short rest later, Tomasello returned to the mat to battle for third against David Terao of American University. Terao was one of two No. 15 seed wrestlers to reach the semifinals.

The bout did not disappoint, as it caused the crowd at Madison Square Garden to erupt as the clock ticked down. It took everything Tomasello had to put Terao away with a 5-3 decision. The All-American has now medaled both times he has participated in the NCAA tournament.

Not to be outmatched by his teammate, Jordan found a way to pull out a third-place finish as well. His opponent, Daniel Lewis of Missouri, jumped out to an early lead with an escape and takedown.

Jordan tied things midway through the second and never lost the advantage. This is the second year the former four-time high school state champion took home the third place hardware.

Session VI

Fireworks were in store for the Buckeyes in the ending session of the tournament. Both freshman Myles Martin and sophomore Kyle Snyder put out top-tier performances to earn championships.

After lifting his redshirt early in the season, Martin proved how smart of a move it was.

Crediting Ryan for much of his success this year, the newly crowned 174-pound champion smiled when speaking about his mentor.

“It meant so much to me; I love that guy,” Martin said. “In the beginning of the season we butted heads about the whole redshirt, he cares so much about me and the team and he understands where I come (from): a small town in (Penns Grove, New Jersey).”

Ryan and Martin embraced as the freshman leapt from the mat to find his loved ones. The OSU coach was clearly ecstatic about the win.

“Around 400 men in the history of the world have won those (titles),” Ryan said. “To get one out of high school as a freshman the way he did against a competitor like that is incredible.”

The Scarlet and Gray had one more man to wrestle in the last match of the tournament, and it was none other than the youngest world champion ever at 97 kilograms.

Against an opponent in Nick Gwiazdowski of North Carolina State who came in with an 88-match win streak, Snyder showed the packed Madison Square Garden why he earned his way to the match after wrestling in just 10 heavyweight bouts prior.

In sudden victory, Snyder locked in a takedown to beat the two-time NCAA champion. According to the sophomore, he knew exactly when to strike.

“I kind of know where guys are going to float out when I do that setup,” Snyder said. “I knew where his foot was going to be, and I hit it as his foot was hitting the mat.”

OSU knocked Iowa out of the top three and earned its second consecutive top three finish after winning it all last year.

Though the 2015-16 season is now complete, the preparation for next season and, for wrestlers like Snyder, the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, is set to begin as soon as possible.