Attendees at Ohio Hempfest watch the band Stone Fryed Mullins perform at Browning Amphitheater on Oct. 11, 2014. Credit: Anthony Szuhay

A central part of Ohio State’s South Campus is set to receive some renovations to the tune of an estimated $700,000, and construction could begin this autumn, according to Dan Hedman, a spokesman for the Office of Administration and Planning.

Renovations are set to improve the seating, drainage and pathways around the Browning Amphitheater, Hedman said. Additionally, there will be new electrical services.

Although Hedman said that construction will most likely start in the autumn, he also mentioned that the timeline of construction is subject to change based on the design of the renovation, as well as the overall scope of the project, which has not yet been finalized. The university is seeking $82,500 to be used during the design phase, and the designs could start being assessed as early the summer.

After the design phase, the university will have a better idea of a project budget, Hedman said. The $700,000 price tag is only an estimate that was listed on the Ohio Controlling Board’s documents about the project. The university will seek funding from the state through the Controlling Board.

“A primary goal of this restoration project will be to maintain the historical integrity of the Browning Amphitheater, which is a landmark on Ohio State’s Columbus campus,” Hedman said in an email. “This work aims to restore and upgrade the amphitheater’s infrastructure – enhancing safety.”

The 90-year-old amphitheater was founded by the Browning Dramatic Society, an all-girls drama group focused on performing Shakespearean plays, in 1926, according to OSU’s library. It has gone through construction before in 1985 upgraded power and installed conduit runs for the lighting.

Correction: April 1, 2016

Because of incorrect information provided by the OSU library, an earlier version of this article stated that a 1985 renovation added a concrete stage, electric lighting and dressing rooms. In fact, the stage is asphalt and there was not enough money for dressing rooms. Additionally, lights were not added; rather, power was upgraded and conduit runs were installed.