OSU junior forward/midfield Maddy Humphrey (23) protects the ball from California sophomore midfield/back Mara Gutierrez (24) and redshirt junior back Michaela Swensen (18) during a field hockey game on Oct. 25, 2015, at Buckeye Varsity Field. Credit: Lantern File Photo

Ohio State field hockey freshman midfielder Adelaide Penzone said she was scared out of her mind as she joined her teammates on the field in overtime against the Miami University Redhawks on Sunday.

Little did she know that the period would end in roughly three minutes with her scoring the winning goal for the Buckeyes, securing a 2-1 victory.

Sunday’s matchup was truly a battle between both teams. Miami outshot the Buckeyes 8-5 in the first half, but Ohio State junior goalkeeper Liz Tamburro kept the Redhawks off the board with two saves. Both the Redhawks (3-4) and the Buckeyes (3-3) emerged from the first half scoreless.

As the Scarlet and Gray took to the field in the second half, OSU head coach Anne Wilkinson said that she saw the Buckeyes put their overall fitness and commitment to each other to work, aspects that the team has progressively been improving upon over the last two weeks.

“Our communication went up 100 percent from the first half to the second half,” Coach Wilkinson said. “They really were able to move and they covered for each other really well. They were patient and really trusting of their own teammates to finish the play.”

Miami’s Paula Portugal scored the first goal of the game nine minutes into the second half. OSU junior forward Maddy Humphrey was quick to even out the score around seven minutes later, with the help of an assist from redshirt junior midfielder Maggie Reddecliff.

At the end of regulation, Miami had two penalty corners but was unable to convert, forcing the game to overtime. Miami threatened with a scoring chance early, but Tamburro was able to slam the opportunity and keep the clock running.

Ohio State charged up the field, where senior forward Brooke Hiltz hit the ball from the left corner setting up Penzone for the game-winner, bringing the Buckeyes their third straight win.

Penzone, who is described by Coach Wilkinson as “a Buckeye through and through,” was nearly at a loss for words after scoring her third career goal and her second game-winning goal.

“It’s shocking, like it hasn’t happened really,” Penzone said. “I didn’t expect to be where I am.”

The Buckeyes’ next game is set for Friday, Sept. 16 as they host their first Big Ten competition against No. 17 Northwestern (4-2).