Tracy Sprinkle (93) down on the field, surrounded by players and staff in the first quarter versus Bowling Green on Sept. 3, 2016. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

Ohio State redshirt junior defensive tackle Tracy Sprinkle had his first career start for the Buckeyes end abruptly on Saturday afternoon against the Bowling Green Falcons. He exited the game with an apparent knee injury that is much more severe than anticipated.

At the post game press conference, coach Urban Meyer said that Sprinkle will have to have season-ending surgery on his patellar tendon in his right knee.

“That’s the worst part of this darned game is when a guy gets hurt, especially a guy like that who has committed so much to this team and program,” Meyer said. “Our prayers are with Tracy.”

ESPN’s Austin Ward reported Sprinkle may be facing surgery for a serious leg injury.

Sprinkle limped off of the field slowly with a lot of help from OSU staff. He was, then, carted off the field into the team locker room for evaluation.

Sprinkle won a defensive tackle job out of camp for OSU. He was replaced by redshirt freshman Dre’Mont Jones.

Despite Saturday being Sprinkle’s first start, he is one of the more experienced players on the defense as a fourth-year player.

9/3/2016 – 4:46 – Updated with quotes from Meyer.