Fans cheer as players run onto the field at Ohio Stadium before a game. Credit: Lantern file photo

Ohio State’s Department of Athletics cleared its first hurdle in requesting that changes be made to the current ticket-pricing system for football and basketball: The Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees approved the plans Thursday afternoon.

Under the proposal, individual, home-game football tickets for the 2017 season would range from $65 to $190; the current price scale has tickets ranging from $70 to $195. Both price ranges use a system of dynamic pricing, where varied prices are set based on the perceived demand of the game.

The current 15-percent discount that season ticket holders receive, and 20-percent discount that OSU faculty and staff receive when buying season tickets, would remain in place for next year, said athletic director Gene Smith, who was in attendance during the meeting. Student prices, which are $34 per game when bought in Big Ten and full-season packages, are to remain at the same price through 2020.

Army and University of Nevada, Las Vegas are scheduled to be the cheapest tickets, at $65 and $70 each, respectively. A ticket for Michigan State or Oklahoma is set to cost $190.

Screen grab of the proposed football ticket prices for the 2017 season. Credit: Ohio State Board of Trustees

Screen grab of the proposed OSU home football game ticket prices for the 2017 season. Credit: Ohio State Board of Trustees

Changes to the pricing model for Buckeye basketball were also approved at the Finance Committee meeting.

Individual, home-game tickets for the 2017-18 season would range in price among a system of four seating sections and classifications of games. The first rank of games, exhibition games, would range from $5 to $10 depending on the seating section, and the most expensive “premier” games would range from $14 to $57. Student-section prices would remain unchanged, ranging from $10 to $13.

The proposal also introduces a 12-percent discount for season-ticket holders, and the faculty and staff season ticket discount of 20 percent would remain unchanged.

Both plans require final approval from the full board on Friday.