Home » Campus » From the archives: Ohio State attacker featured in ‘Humans of Ohio State’

From the archives: Ohio State attacker featured in ‘Humans of Ohio State’

Abdul Razak Artan sits pensively on the Oval. Credit: Kevin Stankiewicz | Oller Reporter

On Monday afternoon, the Ohio State Department of Public Safety released the name of the suspect involved in the violent incident near Watts Hall — Abdul Razak Ali Artan, a third-year in logistics management. The Lantern had interviewed Artan as part of Humans of Ohio State, a print-only feature in The Lantern’s Arts&Life section. Below, The Lantern has reproduced the same interview that appeared in the Aug. 25 issue of the paper. The text below is a direct quote from Artan.

“I just transferred from Columbus State. We had prayer rooms, like actual rooms where we could go pray because we Muslims have to pray five times a day.

“There’s Fajr, which is early in the morning, at dawn. Then Zuhr during the daytime, then Asr in the evening, like right about now. And then Maghrib, which is like right at sunset and then Isha at night. I wanted to pray Asr. I mean, I’m new here. This is my first day. This place is huge, and I don’t even know where to pray.

“I wanted to pray in the open, but I was scared with everything going on in the media. I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen. But, I don’t blame them. It’s the media that put that picture in their heads so they’re just going to have it and it, it’s going to make them feel uncomfortable. I was kind of scared right now. But I just did it. I relied on God. I went over to the corner and just prayed.”

For a PDF version of this story from the original publication date, Aug. 25, click here.

1. Radical Islamic terrorism does not exist! It is NOT A religion, It is NOT Islam! This scenario is no different than cribs or bloods claiming their gangs values are built off any chosen religion!

2. No surprise this Extremeist Jihad Muslim Terrorist is now crying like a big baby.No surprise that he is Muslim either.

3. To most of these replies…….. wow.

4. No, but this guy on Monday did stab 11 people- well either stabbed or ran them over with his car but you get the point. Horrible things happen every day all around the world and in the US that is not justification for another person to commit 11 acts of attempted murder. Furthermore, he killed 11 random people these weren’t people doing wrong doing to him, they might not of even known who is was. So even though you say you’re not justifying his actions.. You are doing just that. I agree violence is a learned behavior but what you’re not willing to conclude yet is that if what you say is true and immigrants from certain countries are, as you described, a ticking time bomb. Then the solution is to not let me in the country, that’s not racist nor bigotry that’s self-preservation. See what you missed while doing all your trivial research which I do mean is trivial, go research another third world country and ta-da more heinous crimes do you think it mitigates their actions once they are here? No it doesn’t. What you missed is that the bottom line is either they come here and don’t cause crime especially heinous crimes or they don’t come at all. So the more you argue Somalia is a hellhole and disease infested the less Americans want them in the country. Also, it seems like Ohio State was not as bad as Somalia and yet he still treated those innocent people with no remorse. Perhaps remorse is something that is taught at a young age and you seem to think we already don’t have enough of it in this country so the logical step in your thought process would be to not add more fuel to the fire.

Also I would like to touch upon the subject of Muslims, as you see I have only talked about his home country and actions. I believe in holding everyone to the same standard, regardless of race, sex, religion. A college campus primary and highest role is to teach to students. Going to class is what students pay for and why the college even exists at all. Now we have the other secondary roles a college fulfills: Room and board, dining facilities, parking and a means to get to class (buses, sidewalks etc). Now the farther we get away from the college’s primary role the less important and more complex it gets. Thirdly, the role stems to entertainment, study areas, laundry facilities, school store, sports, clubs and so forth. I will not place religion as role a college needs to facilitate until after the first three, landing it at the fourth farthest role. Why? Because there is no place for religion while in college. The key phrase is while in college before you jump to conclusions. There is no way a college can hold everyone to the same standard while simultaneously catering to individual religious needs. It is unfair to let one group of students leave class early or show up late or register before other students based their religion’s needs to pray, eat certain foods or their beliefs. If we did that for Christians the liberal media would have a frenzy about separate church and state, as they should. If you believe not giving SPECIAL permission to students because of their religious believes is somehow construed into not being accepted by the college or that the college is treating that student unfairly than that is illogical and goes against treating every student to the same standards. You want to have a campus that is free from judgement based on religion? Then don’t allow religion to be practice on campus, in the public. If a professor doesn’t know which students of theirs is Jewish Christian Atheist Muslims and the rest then they cannot be, even subconsciously biased towards them. Christians don’t force prayer onto the public, neither does the Jewish religion and furthermore this segregates non-religious people the most because no matter what they will not be included in any special treatment to any of the religions. Now with that said, let me clarify me thoughts. I’m not saying by any means that colleges are not for or should not accept any person based on their religion. Religion should be irrelevant the college shouldn’t even know at admissions or during their time gaining a degree who is religious and what their faith is. What I am saying is that what students want to do when they are not in class or in a public common area that’s open to all people despite their religion want to do on their free time is completely up to them. If a Muslim student works out their class schedule to facilitate their prayer needs then they should go for it, on their time. This means that if they can’t get into a certain class, as every other college student has experienced than that is the student’s prerogative to work around the schedule they get. I also believe there should be no churches on college grounds of any faith. If churches want to build right off of campus and students want to go there in between classes or before or after class more power to them. This will offend people, as I am not surprised these days. This isn’t stopping someone from being religious, no one is being punished for being religious, what it is doing is treating everyone to the same standard and keeping the separation between church and state.

5. Typical Islam follower. Islam is ideology of stupidity. Of fear, of uneducated ignorant people who abuse others. Who wants to change the world according to their perspective. Equality of skin color, that is value which must be protected. But equality of religions? No way. Societies should consider what is what. If in front of us stays religion where women are obliged to be covered in some dirty fabric, where they can not leave the religion, pick something else without facing some threat, that is not religion equals to others. Does not deserve the same rights. If we see people are killing in the name of Islam around the globe, we should call it using right name. Islam is a problem. Does not matter if we see billions of followers. It does not speak anything about quality of that religion. It says just how aggressive it can spread. Muslims are first victims of Islam. Time to help them to ditch it. Time to help us.

6. I do not pretend to know Islam, but I can say definitively that no other religion in the world produces the results of prayer that Muslims seem to get. When I pray, and I do, often, the last thing on my mind…no strike that….the ONE THING always missing when my prayer is finished is: “Ahhhh, now is a good time to go commit mass murder !”. So, as I said, I do not pretend to know Islam intimately, but something is acutely wrong, with Imans, Muslims and Islam if murder of innocent people is the result of following this way of life. Muslims need to check themselves if this is what they are getting from the text of the Koran and the words of it’s preachers.

7. According to the people at http://talkingpointsmemo.com this is all because of
    Trump and the gun people. Is this really how dense or brain washed the people in
    America have become? How can people not blame the shooter? There is a pattern
    here. Do people still not understand the Moslem faith? There are dozens upon
    dozens of references to killing and torturing non-believers in the Quran.

According to the Moslem religion those who do not kill and make non believers
    suffer are week and do not follow the Moslem faith in it’s entirety. The only way
    a non-believer is allowed to live is it be a obedient servant for life.
    Search the scriptures people! That is not a religion it is a cult!

People can sugar coat the message all they want and make up their own meanings for
    what the is said to mean when saying torture, kill, make them suffer even when it is said
    many times. Wake up people torture, kill, and make them suffer means just that torture,
    kill, and make them suffer. Not in you mind or pretend, this is the real world.

8. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen, but I don’t blame them,” he said.—> I would say I am thinking you are praying that Allah give you strength and help you kill as many people as you can….Am I wrong?

9. “I’m Muslim, but I’m not what the media portrays me to be”. So, despite recognizing that his actions will reflect extremely poorly on his entire community, he chooses to go on an anti-USA rant then run over and stab innocent people. Putting aside entirely the controversial immigration debate, can I just say, WHAT A COLOSSAL A-HOLE.

10. If only you guys would’ve given him his special muslim only prayer room! You basically forced him to stab those kids, just like girls in slim fitting clothes basically force Muslims to rape them. This is how it works guys.

11. he’s such an aquatard

12. Asatru is a religion of peace! So what if it commands us to fight, to give our enemies no peace whatsoever, and to die in battle (or we will not go to Valhalla but hell – in short, we must seek conflicts with you so that we may have battles to be martyred in, it’s our religious duty – try being more tolerant!).
    So what if it teaches that paradise is a place where we enjoy ourselves by killing each other every day, only to be resurrected, and later feast and drink all night.. only to repeat this the next day and the next day and the next day etc?

Why are you so intolerant of our faith of love and peace and what it tells us to do (to you)? We only want to excercise our religion..? Ah, the injustice! The oppression! The racism!

Now, would the above be completely ridiculous or would you fall for it? So why are western nations allowing muslims, who have just as violence-glorifying a religion, to basically feed us the very same crap? Theirs is a religion of conquest, violence and war. It’s simple fact.

Non-violent muslims are basically non-practicing muslims: Muslims who don’t actually follow their religious obligations. Ie they’re really non-muslims.

13. Go out and enlist and really do something about this. Yeah. Do it instead of hiding behind your keyboards.

14. What a coinkidink! Not pre-packaged, at ALL. 🙂