A poster for MEISA's Wonderwallathon on Nov. 19. Credit: Courtesy of Sarah Drees

A poster for MEISA’s Wonderwallathon on Nov. 19. Credit: Courtesy of Sarah Drees

While “Wonderwall” by Oasis may be remembered as an overplayed, lovesick 90’s Britpop song, members of Ohio State’s Music and Entertainment Industry Student Association agree on one thing: one “Wonderwall” just isn’t enough.

That is why MEISA is hosting Wonderwallathon on Saturday. A variety of genres will be showcased on the lineup of local bands, and each band will play an original set of music, ending with its own cover of Oasis’ song.

Wonderwallathon is a celebration of everyone’s favorite campfire jam, said club president Sarah Drees, a fourth year in arts management.

“‘Wonderwall’ is kind of a running Internet joke,” Drees said. “Every guy with a guitar plays ‘Wonderwall’ to woo the girls. It’s a really easy song with three chords, so no one’s ever quite that impressed.”  

Local bands The Graphics, Booty & the Kidd, PZA PRTY, Patchwork Refinement and Holy Smokes! are set to perform.  

“It’s going to be really interesting to see what kind of covers people come up with in their own style because we’ve got two alternative acts, a hip hop duo, an EDM disc jockey and an acoustic singer/songwriter,” said vice president Troy Tomasello, a fourth year in world politics.

The Graphics is an alternative indie rock group including Ohio State students and MEISA members. Its sound is influenced specifically by groups such as Catfish and the Bottlemen, Young the Giant and Two Door Cinema Club.

“The challenge is trying to making Wonderwall its own thing,” said guitarist and singer Zane Abraham, a second-year in exploration. “We don’t have any connection to the song, but that’s kind of the point. How can these bands make this one song different?”

MEISA has been around for seven years and is associated with the Music, Media and Enterprise minor at OSU.  Music junkies attend meetings to listen to music, discuss new releases and plan social outings to local shows.

While many members see music as a fun hobby, some want it to be a part of their career path. Music professors and professionals in the music industry — including representatives from companies such as GROOVE U, CD102.5, Substream Magazine and Warner Music Group — often make appearances at meetings.

MEISA arranges and supports shows like Wonderwallathon to give up-and-coming acts a chance to perform for a new crowd, Drees said.

“It’s not just their immediate friend group. So for them, it’s really an opportunity to reach new audiences,” she said.

Wonderwallathon is set to take place at The Lodge house venue at 71 E. 13th Ave. Doors open at 8 p.m., and music starts at 9 p.m. with a $3 cover charge.

Editor’s note: Jack Westerhide, a member of The Graphics, is The Lantern’s social media editor.