Artists could soon see their work while walking down streets of the University District.

The University District Organization is currently accepting ideas from the public for public art pieces, from now until Thanksgiving.

With a goal to inspire long-term public art, temporary art pieces are set to pop up throughout the surrounding neighborhoods of Ohio State as part of the University District Arts and Character Enhancement Plan. In addition, the organization is accepting ideas from the public to fuel the fire behind the larger goal of having more permanent installations in the area.

The music oriented t-shirt design is to be designed by John Grosvenor, graduate of the Columbus College of Art & Design and resident of Weinland Park. Here is an example of his work. Credit: Courtesy of The University District Organization.

A music-oriented design by John Grosvenor. Credit: Courtesy of The University District Organization.

“We’re open to pieces of all mediums and hope to add vibrancy to the district as they pop up,” said Matthew Hansen, executive director of the University District Organization.

Jessica Jones, an OSU alumna, participated in the community project by the group highlighting short literary projects. Jones wrote a poem titled “Pulse,” which is now displayed in stenciled letters at the vacant Campus Corner convenience storefront between East 15th and 16th Avenue on North High Street.

“The poem is kind of like taking a walk through the University District,” Jones said. “You hear the music, you taste some of the food, and then it takes you on a walk down through the ravines. My goal was to capture all of what I loved about Columbus since I moved here.”

Jones also wrote a haiku about her love for the city’s music scene to be incorporated with another public art piece, “Concrete Words,” near 215 King Ave.

“Concrete Words” was created by OSU students participating in the Pay It Forward community commitment day in August. The project features stacked concrete blocks filled with succulents, which will be transitioned into more winter-friendly plants as the weather changes.

The University District Organization began the project in August with meetings between students, architects and residents to create eye-catching art for the entire community. From now until December, the projects will be brought to life, Hansen said.

“Art from Nature,” a public art piece to be located in Iuka Park, will make use of natural materials that will deteriorate over time. Walter Herrmann, the project artist, is creating a 200-square-foot woven wood sculpture to be placed between two tree trunks with an estimated completion date of Nov. 30.

In an effort to commemorate key Columbus music venues, John Grosvenor, a Weinland Park resident, has created a music trail T-shirt featuring local concert venues. The design hasn’t been finalized but will be sold at local venues and feature venues such as Ace of Cups, Rumba Cafe, Rambling House, Newport and Dick’s Den.

“Your dream is my memory” was created by longtime Columbus resident Rory Krupp. University District residents, students and businesses are encouraged in this project to reserve a 6-by-6-foot painted-and-numbered block. The blocks themselves are free to reserve and people will hold onto them until Dec. 13, when all 100 blocks and people will gather to reveal the final composite image. This project stresses the importance of community, Hansen said.

A stencil art installation entitled ‘Pulse’ has been placed at the vacant Campus Corner convenience storefront in part of the University District Arts and Character Enhancement Plan. Artist and OSU Alumni Jessica Jones created the poem inspired by her love of Columbus and the vibrancy of its neighborhoods. Credit: Grace Fleisher | Lantern Reporter

A stencil art installation titled “Pulse” at the vacant Campus Corner convenience storefront is part of the University District Arts and Character Enhancement Plan.  Credit: Grace Fleisher | Lantern Reporter

“I think what you do in your community and what you put into it is exactly what you get out of it,” Jones said. “I think the installs are a good long-term process for rebuilding the University District into what the current living members want it to be.”

More information on the Arts and Character Enhancement Plan, submitting an idea and voting on a permanent art installation can be found on the University District’s website.