Home » Campus » Ohio State student shot dead near campus

Ohio State student shot dead near campus

Tarak Andrew Underiner appeared on a Lantern TV episode of Scarlet Scoop on Dec. 2. Credit: Screen grab via Lantern TV

Ohio State student and concealed-carry advocate Tarak Andrew Underiner was found dead from gunshot wounds at a residence on Northwood Ave. early Thursday morning. This is the city’s first homicide of 2017.

The police report identified Underiner as 20 years old and a current OSU student. OSU’s directory lists Underiner as a marketing and Spanish double major; in a previous Lantern article he identified himself as a third-year in marketing and the treasurer for Buckeyes for Concealed Carry.

Columbus police officers were called to the scene on a report of a shooting inside the residence at 12:30 a.m. Underiner was found unresponsive and pronounced dead on the scene at 12:41 a.m.

“Investigators do not believe this incident was random in nature nor has any connection to the University,” the report states.

The incident did not elicit a Buckeye Alert text message being sent to students. Dan Hedman, spokesman for OSU’s Office of Administration and Planning, said the incident did not call for the system to be used.

“This incident is sad and unfortunate and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Tarak Underiner during this extremely difficult time,” Hedman said in an email. “Whether or not to issue a Buckeye Alert is based on information available at the time and takes into consideration multiple factors, including location and whether it is deemed there is an imminent threat to the campus community.”

In a statement on the Facebook page for Ohio Students for Concealed Carry, the state-level organization that OSU’s Buckeyes for Concealed Carry falls under, OSCC director and board member Michael Newbern expressed his condolences.

“I am deeply saddened by the tragedy that occurred last night near The Ohio State University. Tarak Underiner was both a personal friend of mine and a bright young man with a promising future ahead of him. His work as a member of Buckeyes for Concealed Carry on Campus to restore the right to self-defense on Ohio’s college campuses put him in an elite class obtained by very few others in our movement,” Newbern said.

Underiner recently testified at the Ohio Statehouse in favor of expanding concealed carry onto public college campuses. In interviews with The Lantern and Lantern TV, Underiner said the legislation was important for self defense, saying he’d feel safe if he were able to walk to and from campus carrying a firearm.

“It’s not really aimed at stopping mass shooter events,” Underiner said, instead listing defense against violent crime, such as armed robbery or assault, as more realistic. “If you have a late night at the library and … you live in dangerous parts of town, or are out late, being able to have, at least the option to carry a concealed weapon is an important right for Ohio State students.”

The legislation was passed, although OSU officials have said they do not plan on taking up the optional provisions.

Newbern called any speculation on the circumstances surrounding Underiner’s death “unwarranted,” and urged anyone with relevant information to contact University Police or the Columbus Division of Police.

1. I’m not sure why we’re talking about the proposed legislation. What happened to this 20 year old (details)? Can it happen to me? Why did it happen?

• only you can protect your life.. and without firearm you can’t. all Left wants to do is to disarm the citiznes. Police can not protect you. They will gladly put a tag on your toe and collect pension.

2. This is directly at the feet of Gov Kasich and President Drake. Given the fight that this student was involved in, two facts are completely evident. First, if he were allowed, he would have had a firearm to defend himself against the attacker(s). Secondly, this was a law-abiding citizen who followed the rules and did not have the means to defend himself. Drake and Kasich have seen fit to legally restrain him from carrying a firearm and that has cost him his life. Evidently the logic of reality is lost upon these two ideologic hoplophobes who are probably extremely shocked that the criminal murderers actually broke the law that should have been an iron-clad protection for this student.

I’m sure that they will feel really bad about this. And probably make some really stupid decisions for thousands of other people tomorrow.

• Aaaaand a swing and a miss. He didn’t live on campus and he wasn’t old enough to conceal carry in Ohio. Though he likely did have a gun or a few guns in his HOME, which would be entirely legal. Try again Bob.

• He lived off campus where it was entirely legal for him to have a firearm. It has nothing to do with OSU except that he was a student there.

3. If he is living on college grounds and denied a right to self defense, the university and state should be held accountable.

4. If concealed carry can save even just 1 life… oops, too late! Nevermind.

5. He was killed doing drug related (ILLEGAL) activity. No law abiding victim here. Concealed carry doesn’t apply.

http://nbc4i.com/2017/01/06/cpd-first-homicide-of-2017-was-drug-related/