In a world of increasingly flawless high-tech, antiseptic music, The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion is like a dirty little kid showing off his warts.’Accidents are very important to us,’ said guitarist/frontman Jon Spencer, in a recent interview, ‘If we’re in the studio and something falls over, or something gets switched on when we’re doing it and a new sound comes out, I love things like that.’The philosophy translates into live performances as well. Bombastic blasts of guitar, ad-libbed lyrics, shouted expletives, and frenzied use of the theramin’s CB-like squelch all characterized the band’s Wednesday night Newport performance. Twisting and turning, starting and stopping the dirty, high-energy stomp and dirge sometimes lost itself, but like a cat always landed on its feet in a textured guitar interplay or punk chorus.’Spontaneity is very important to the band, not just in the live show but in pretty much every thing we do. And to that end, we don’t use a set list. When I get up there, I try to just have a good time. It’s an exciting thing to be playing with the Blues Explosion, and I just get caught up in that feeling,’ Spencer said.There is no master plan or direction for the band and there never has been. They are enjoying a ride strewn with happy accidents. Their distinctive two guitar, no bass sound, which allows greater flexibility, came more out of circumstances than planning, guitarist Judah Bauer said.’Our music is exciting because of who we are and because we really enjoy doing it and all our personalities together make it,’ said drummer Russell Simins, ‘We’re not thinking. We just play and try to write good songs.’