Music is in a state of emergency. This year, interesting music has been replaced by the Bland Invasion. Can anyone really tell the difference between 3rd Eye Blind, Sister Hazel, Verve Pipe or the rest of their ilk? Thank goodness some bands are staying off the bandwagon and producing interesting music.One such band is Jonathan Fire Eater. The five-member New York-based band released a number of independent singles, EP’s and an album before signing to Dreamworks records. The band is comprised of Stewart Lupton, vocals; Matt Barrick, drums; Tom Frank, bass; Paul Maroon, guitar; and Walter Martin, organ.Their major label debut “Wolf Songs For Lambs” is a much needed break from the current stagnation of rock-a-like bands. The album sounds like a lost gem from the 1960s. What makes this different from other retro bands is the avoidance of ’60s cliches. There are no Beatle-esque four-part harmonies, self-indulgent instrumental solos or bad hippie lyrics. The ’60s influence comes through in the low-tech recording techniques and the prominent use of the organ. Lupton’s voice is an odd cross of Mick Jagger, Billy Corgan and the lead singer of Pavement. Lupton isn’t afraid to whine or sing way off-key. Instead of being annoying, it’s endearing. When heard in the context of the music, Lupton’s voice makes perfect sense. While Lupton works his schtick the band provides a whirling backdrop. No instrument takes dominance, instead there’s a blanket of sound as Jonathan Fire Eater locks into a brand-new retro groove. Imagine the Doors without the tragic Greek overtones and over-inflated self-importance. Lyrically, Lupton is in the weird parable section of the songwriting club ‹ seemingly disjointed lyrics form tales of murder, the joys of having a personal room and other odd topics. Imagine listening to a Beck record without hip-hop beats. There’s not a lyric sheet so it takes repeated listenings to figure out what’s going on. The highlights of “Wolf Songs For Lambs” are many. “No Love Like That” sneaks up with a sly keyboard riff and a chorus stretched out and sounds like “A luh li that.” “These Little Monkeys” is the soundtrack to every ’60s youth movie ever made. Frug or do the pony, let the dance party begin! The songs come across as if it was recorded during a garage rehearsal. Another interesting point is the fact that even though the album has 11 tracks it only clocks in at 35 minutes.Thankfully, a band has managed to live up to the record industry hype and is cutting a swath through the morass of today’s music. Jonathan Fire Eater’s “Wolf Songs For Lambs” is an interesting postcard from a band with promise.