Ellen DeGeneres ‘came-out’ on her sitcom “Ellen” last year, sparking a national debate on society’s view of homosexuality.Betty DeGeneres, Ellen’s mother, is the keynote speaker for the gay, lesbian and bisexual awareness program, “In Good Company,” being sponsored by the newly established Student and Gender Services. She will be at the Ohio Union Jan. 29 from 7:30 to 10 p.m.DeGeneres is traveling the country for the Human Rights Campaign to speak about the need for parents to support their homosexual children.In addition to the keynote speech, a variety of other programs and activities will be presented to promote community and individual awareness of gay, lesbian and bisexual issues the last two weeks of January. The programs will include discussions, fireside chats, luncheons and a dance and comedy night. Everyone is welcome to participate in these events.The Student Gender and Sexuality Services was established within the Office of Student Affairs in July 1997. Autumn was their first quarter of operation.There are three programs within Student Gender and Sexuality Services: Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Student Services, Rape Education and Prevention Program and Women Student Services. They are also in the process of developing a men’s program to address the issues and concerns of college men, said Willa Young, director of the services.The mission of these services is to help provide an out-of-classroom environment that will allow students to be successful and graduate from Ohio State, said Young. “We want to work with as many student organizations and individuals as possible,” said Young. Student Gender and Sexuality Services wants to serve the entire community, not just gay, lesbian, bisexual and female students, said Young.”Everyone is welcome to be a part of our community here at OSU,” she said.The struggles of homosexuals are similar to those of other minorities, such as blacks and women, said Sheri Atkinson, an associate for Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Student Services.”All are working to have equal rights as citizens of the United States of America, but unique to gays, lesbians and bisexuals is the closeted factor,” Atkinson said. “You can tell by looking if a person is female or of color, but these students have to go through the process of ‘coming-out’ with possibly no support from family or friends.”These services are at OSU to provide a safe and supporting environment for all students , said Atkinson.