Opera has always had a reputation for intense drama. Now Opera Columbus takes it a step further by hosting a series of community discussions on volatile issues found in the opera “Vanqui.”The community talks will center around the opera “Vanqui”, written by John Williams and composed by Leslie Burrs. Talks will cover topics from women’s issues to black political empowerment. “Vanqui” is a commissioned opera about the struggle of the human spirit over adversity, said Michele Kramer, director of marketing for Opera Columbus.It is about two imaginary characters, Vanqui and her husband Prince, who are brought to another country as slaves. She is sold and they are separated. They both die and are resurrected as spirits. For the next 150 years they search for each other running into historical figures, such as Harriet Tubman, on the way. “You learn about history through the characters,” said Toni Smith, director of the Opera Columbus outreach program. “Vanqui” has a universal theme of “love conquers all,” Smith said. It is about displaced people who are able to rise above and conquer.The concept behind the opera talks is to create community awareness and backing for “Vanqui” as well as the issues it stands for, said Kramer. “Women and Power” is the topic for the July 8 opera talk, featuring guest speakers Valerie Lee, Ph.D, Paulette Pierce, Ph.D and Leslie Burrs.Lee, associate professor of English and women’s studies at OSU, and Paulette Pierce, associate professor of black studies at OSU, will lead a discussion on issues of gender and race that will appear in Vanqui.Lee said the best thing about “Vanqui” and the opera talks is that they will provide a forum for intense discussions about history, politics and race relations in America.”This will be important to the African American community because opera has been stereotyped as the property of certain cultures and classes,” Lee said. Some may think African American culture and the opera have little in common, but both cover a wide range of artistic expression, said Lee. Vanqui will premiere at the new Southern Theater in October 1998.The community talks are free and open to the public and will be held July 8, 10, 28 and 30 at 7 p.m. Talks on July 8 and 28 will be held at the OSU Black Studies Community Extension Center, 905 Mt. Vernon Ave. The July 10 talk will be held at the Columbus Urban League and the July 30 talk will be held at Shiloh Baptist Church. For a list of guest speakers and topics, call Opera Columbus at 461-8101.