Home » Uncategorized » OSU cadets selected by Air Force

OSU cadets selected by Air Force

Eight Ohio State Air Force ROTC cadets received their ‘wings’ Thursday at an awards ceremony in Converse Hall.Five OSU cadets were selected to attend the Air Force’s Undergraduate Pilot Training program, and three will attend the Undergraduate Navigation Training program.’I knew today was the pilot selection ceremony and I didn’t sleep at all last night,’ said Cadet Erica Burleigh, a senior majoring in criminology. ‘I have wanted to become a pilot since I was 4-years-old so its been a dream come true.’Cadet Rick Kastelic, a senior majoring computer science, said he feels lucky to be chosen to go to navigation school and is glad the wait to find out is over.’It’s a relief and a big surprise to be selected. I have been waiting for four years and now that I have been selected it all seems worth while,’ Kastelic said.The Air Force accepts 558 cadets out of 773 applicants from all the Air Force ROTC programs in the country for the pilot training schools and 182 out of 199 for the navigation school said Capt. Shane Switzer, unit admissions officer and aerospace studies professor at OSU.’We are happy that eight out of nine of our cadets competed and were selected for the programs because they are highly selective,’ Switzer said.The cadets picked in the annual selection represent the best and carry an average grade point average of 3.07, he said.’For most cadets it is a dream to become a pilot or a navigator and for others who don’t know what they want to do often become interested,’ Switzer said. ‘So it is a real honor to be selected.’Switzer said the cadets will go to the flight and navigation schools after they graduate.The OSU Air Force ROTC program ‘provides officers and future leaders of the Air Force. It makes our program look better that they have been selected to become pilots and navigators,’ Switzer said.