Self-serve should have some limits

Some people think unfettered capitalism and lower taxes would provide big incentive to our economic system. I know better. I’ve got my eye on the “U-Scan” trials the Kroger Company is running in Michigan. Apparently, several Kroger stores have customers with 15 items or less scan, pack, and pay for their groceries in place of cashiers and baggers.Talk about incentive. Low-wage cashiers and baggers are replaced by individual customers who learn this system and work “self-serve” for nothing!I don’t mind pumping my own gas. Handling my own teller-free bank transactions at the ATM is OK (the beeping gets to me over the years.) But I just know I’ll feel like a dog processing myself through “U-Scan Express.”There is a regular Lantern columnist who insists the rich take nothing from the poor. Baloney! Industry by industry, owners are poised and ready to capitalize. If we all start scanning our own groceries each week, it’s an inroad to our quality of life, our time, our labor power.Paid cashiers save me time and effort.I gave up bank tellers and service station attendants without a struggle, but hurriedly scanning my own groceries? Is this the way business owners “create wealth?” U-work. They profit?Tax abatement and regulation-free environments are one thing. Under-compensated and uncompensated labor are a big temptation for business owners. Entrepreneurs are a taxing bunch.I wonder if their vision includes a customer dress code?

David L. LesherStaff