Starr being used by administration

Time for a dose of reality, Clinton excusers and Lantern editors. First, when the Whitewater case began, the Democrats tried to get a Democrat hired as the independent counsel to investigate the charges (obviously a conflict of interest involved). Then, when Ken Starr, who was born in a Democratic family, was hired, Democrats cried “unfair” because he had worked on Bush’s first election campaign. Whenever subpeonas were handed out, the Clinton administration cried “foul.” Whenever convictions were obtained, the administration proclaimed Clinton’s innocence and/or ignorance. As evidence became hard to find, his supporters shouted that the investigation was a waste of taxpayers’ money (never mind that more money was spent investigating Reagan and his administration during Iran-Contra, So that papers under subpeona were found in the White House years afterward). When Ken Starr considered retiring from the investigation, he was pronounced a failure or a quitter by Clinton’s supporters, and yet the administration demanded he stay as independent counsel to keep him as the White House’s excuse for their own PR problems. Starr has been allowed by Janet Reno, whose only boss is Clinton himself, and a panel of judges, some appointed by Clinton, to investigate everything he has. Now as he gets closer to finding truths about Clinton and all these scandals, the administration, his lawyers and his supporters are on an all-out attack on Starr and his investigation team, prying into him and his investigators’ private lives in order to try to destroy their credibility. They are even using executive privilege, not used since WATERGATE, to keep Clinton’s people from being forced to testify under oath. Excuse me, Clinton has the power to get rid of Starr any time he wishes! Why, if Starr’s so evil, doesn’t Clinton or Reno just fire him and get a new independent counsel? Because Clinton and his people would have to find new excuses to attack the next prosecutor and to withhold evidence and testimony. Clinton and his people are using Starr, who cannot legally defend his actions by revealing anything about his investigation, as their only defense for their unreasonable obstruction of his investigation. This behavior is similar to beating a blind man or kicking a dog on the end of a leash. Stop attacking the prosecutor, Mr. President; it’s his job to find the truth, not to protect your presidency from its own mistakes. Better yet, tell us the truth so we can end the investigation and the misery of the country. John T. CammSeniorElectrical Engineering