On Wednesday “Freenik: Open Mic Night,” sponsored by the Drake Union’s Activities Board (ODUA), provided a night full of entertainment from 14 Ohio State students and local residents. “The purpose of Freenik is for people to free their minds and feel like they can be free to express their talents and just be themselves,” said Nikkie Armstrong, co-chairperson on the board.Any individual who wanted to come to the microphone to share his or her talents was free to do so in front of a crowd of about 30 people. The format was similar to the club scenes presented in the movie “Love Jones.” “We’ll try to do this every month, but we’re just starting out. We want to sponsor events for Black History Month and Women’s History Month, but we need support from students,” Armstrong said. The cost of admission was $1.Mat Vandeneynden, co-chairperson on the board, served as master of ceremonies for the event. “We want to showcase students who have talent,” Vandeneynden said. The proceeds go to the organization so it can sponsor more student activities, he said.Presentations included vocal performances, monologues, comedy acts and poetry readings.The night opened with sounds from the Charles Cooper Quartet, who provided background music for the event.The first person to the microphone was Stuellyn Hill, an accounting and marketing major, who recited some original poetry. She dedicated “Why I Love You” to her sister who had relocated from Dayton to Atlanta. Hill ended her poem by reading, “To have a sister like you is a blessing and a gift from God.” The Charles Cooper Quartet performed such instrumentals as “Never Do What They Do,” by The Roots and “Reasons” by Earth, Wind and Fire between performances. Ricardo Wilkins, accompanied by the band, followed Hill with his original poetry, “When I Wrote You” and an untitled piece dedicated to hip hop. Stephanie Davis, an OSU student, did a vocal performance of “His Eye Is On the Sparrow.”Heiku stepped to the microphone to sing a rendition of “I Know You See Me” by rapper Lil’ Kim. “I have a collaboration CD out right now called ‘The Gatherings,'” said Heiku, who will be performing on Feb. 6 at the Hale Black Cultural Center. “The entire event was very entertaining. It provided a nice atmosphere for everyone to enjoy regardless of race,” said Tirhas Zerihun, a communications major.