The Columbus Division of Police has been under scrutiny lately by the U.S. Justice Department for civil rights violations, and students are now closely monitoring the department for signs of wrongful behavior.The collection of students and local activists known as Copwatch attempts to keep an eye on the Columbus Division of Police. The group questions the police’s attitude toward Ohio State students.Jerry Bellow, a Copwatch volunteer, said that Copwatch is a segment of the Anti-Racist Action, a group which promotes awareness of police brutality and abuse of power. “This sort of check on police authority is really catching on,” he said.Bellow said that people are taking steps to document police activity. “People are looking at the situation in a new light. They’re beginning to take responsibility for their safety at parties and bringing cameras out when the cops come,” Bellow said.Sgt. Earl Smith of the Columbus Division of Police said that the police are there to do a job, and that the South Campus region is a volatile area.”Some streets in the South Campus area have upwards of 70 percent of the residents as genuine felons. Mix that with the transient student population, and we have reason for concern,” Smith said.Josh Klein, another Copwatch volunteer, agreed that cameras are the best deterrent to illegal police behavior.”It documents the event like nothing else can. When cops see cameras, they straighten up,” he said. Smith, however, doesn’t approve of the cameras. “Well, it’s their rights as citizens, but they use it as a anti-police measure, and they sour the relationship further,” he said.Klein said there are ways for students to protect themselves.”Hang out with friends so you can protect each other,” he said.Smith also had some advice.”Just use common sense and follow the law,” he said.