A huge window of opportunity has opened for college-bound students across the United States. Last week, President Clinton proposed a $31 billion plan to make college education more affordable.The proposal, known as the “College Opportunity Tax Cut,” centers around a tax deduction that would be given to families of college students. When the bill is fully operational in 2003, a family earning $120,000 or less annually could receive a tax cut of up to $10,000 for tuition, fees and job-related training.The introduction of such a bill to Congress is long overdue. If the United States is indeed the land of opportunity, it is essential that all Americans be given an equal chance to succeed. These days, a college diploma is increasingly becoming necessary for success. Without some form of assistance, lower-income students will be denied the opportunities brought by a college education as tuition costs continue to rise.As put by Clinton, “When we make college more affordable, we make the American dream more achievable.”The College Opportunity Tax Cut will benefit the United States as it aims to encourage more of America’s youth to follow this dream, and not just those that come from low-income families. The president’s proposal includes $35 million for the college Completion Challenge grants, designed to spur college dropouts to return to class; $40 million for an initiative to help minorities pursue five-year dual-degree programs in fields where they are underrepresented; and $716 million for Pell grants.Despite the benefits the tax cut could bring, skeptics fear that the bill might not pass under current political circumstances. Several people feel that Clinton’s proposal might not be accepted by the Republican-controlled Congress.However, the chances of this happening are slim. Voter studies have shown that education is the top priority for most Americans. Thus, it could be a great political loss for any representative who might oppose the tax cut proposal.This is a time when members of Congress and the major political parties need to put aside their differences and focus on what is best for this country. Our government can no longer ignore the needs and wants of the American people because of partisan disputes. The College Opportunity Tax Cut will bring great opportunities to college-bound students in this country. Have faith that Congress will work together to make this proposal into law.