Dear Patty,

I’m an incoming freshman this autumn and I was wondering if there’s any real value to getting involved? They seem to repeat that a lot during orientation, but since my high school forced me do service to graduate I am really not interested in volunteering now. Why would I want to add those responsibilities on top of the standard workload? – Skeptical Volunteer

Dear Skeptic,

The best thing about being at college is the choices you get to make. Many students choose the path that will be easiest for them. Sadly, the easy choice is often the opposite of what is really in your best interest. Performing acts of service doesn’t merely benefit those you are directly involved with, but it fuels your soul. Marian Wright Edelman, founder of the Children’s Defense Fund, wrote, “Service is our rent for living.” This means the grace of simple existence should be enough initiative to feel morally obligated to aid others. No one can claim they live a life of complete self-reliance.

I believe that people learn best by an anecdotal story, so here is a short one, and I hope it helps you decide what to do. Because I do not have a daddy, I opted to volunteer my Father’s Day at the Columbus Alzheimer’s Center, located on Jasonway by Henderson Road. I learned about this opportunity through Community Commitment. The elderly people at the Center may not remember me, but I will remember them and the three hours I spent there. I will never forget Jennie, who made me laugh until I cried with her wit and natural comedic ability. I’ll remember my time with Netty, the fighter, who was so physically strong that she could box with the best of them. I will not forget Mickey, the dancer, who did not talk much but could jitterbug better than any OSU ballroom dance competitor. Last but not least, there was Nancy, the nymphomaniac. She was – very – friendly with several of the men there. Use your imagination here [Ed. Actually don’t. I did and haven’t eaten since.]

These people at the center had a great afternoon because some OSU students took the opportunity to take service to the next level. It is one thing to clean up High Street, but it takes another mindset to connect with another human being. The emotional stress of working with elderly people suffering from this debilitating disease tears at the core of your being and forces you to recognize your own mortality. As you can see, Skeptical, service is your choice but it can be a most rewarding one.

It is easy to go through your college career and not see anything else but a classroom, the dorm and the inside of a few dozen bars. Service is for the risk-takers, those who challenge themselves to experience service as the ultimate opportunity. It is not my duty to change your mind. All I can do is be an example to you and hope that this testimony of involvement motivates you to take risks, gain insightful experience and help others. The real selling point of volunteerism is that when you help others, you help yourself. You obtain self-actualization and learn more about who you are and who you want to be.

Patty Jr .is a wise DIVA who agrees that “a man who stands for nothing will fall for anything” For fantastic advice, you may e-mail her at [email protected].