The Residence Halls Advisory Council elected five new officers to its executive board yesterday.

The new officers are Jose Mustre, director for diversity and intramural programming, Ron Dulaney, director for social and educational programming, Sam Makar, director of fundraising, Keisha Cranford, national communications coordinator and Laurie Lengen, secretary.

The elected officers were excited to assume their new roles. Dulaney, a freshman in biochemistry, originally ran for another position but did not win. His enthusiasm, however, helped win his election to the social and educational programming post.

“Even though I wanted to run for a different position, the people on the council will help me out,” Dulaney said.

The elected officers’ terms last throughout the school year, said Kenley Maddux, president of RHAC.

The new officers fill seats vacated last year.

“There are five openings because the people that got elected to those positions at the end of last year decided they didn’t have time for it or they were going to a different school,” said Michelle Poppe, treasurer for RHAC.

About 15 people ran for positions, Poppe said. The officers were nominated by those who attended the meeting.

The RHAC targeted persons who live in the residence halls to fill the open slots. No experience was necessary.

“We want anyone who lives in the residence halls to fill the open positions,” Poppe said.

Members of the council said the jobs demand time and creativity. “They (the officers) need to be willing to give 20 hours a week. They need to have good ideas and be good at carrying them out,” Maddux said.

RHAC sponsors many activities for Ohio State students. Some of these activities include the Movie on the Oval, Welcome Week Kits, Finals Week Kits and Casino Night.

“Our goal is to provide programs for everyone to get involved in and enjoy,” Poppe said.

Along with activities, RHAC provides grants to residence halls for hall improvement, community service programs and education programs.

RHAC meets each Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Math Annex 170. The meetings are open to the public.