Club shoots for new members

Anyone with an interest in nature, photography or nature photography is welcome, to join the Lens & Leaves Camera Club.

The club was created for nature photography such as flora, funa, landscapes and seascapes. The club has meetings at 7:30 p.m. on Thursdays at the Beech Male Lodge.

The skill level of the members range from beginning amateur to professional. For questions or more information, contact Cheryl Hyde at 238-0438 or [email protected].

Find art on walls in ‘Art in the Halls’

The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission’s “Art in the Halls” is a public art program providing an opportunity for professional artists in central Ohio to exhibit and market themselves in the public sector.

The gallery is located at 285 E. Main St. in downtown Columbus, hours are 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Free parking is available in the rear of the building. For more information, call Laura Koprowski at 233-4126.

Museum holds after-work party

The Columbus Museum of Art, 480 E. Broad St., invites you to the monthly after-work party from 5-9 p.m. on Thursday.

Music will be provided by Saving Jane. Admission is free to members and $3 for nonmembers.

The event includes access to the entire museum, including “Selections from the Photo League,” “An American in Europe” and “Middleton Manigault, Visionary Modernist.”

NOW featured at Capital University

The Capital University Conservatory of Music will present the 14th annual NOW MUSIC Festival, Monday to Feb. 18. The week-long festival will focus on music that has been composed in the past decade, with several new works to be premiered during the series as well. The festival will feature W. Francis McBeth as composer and conductor in residence.

The festival also will feature Daniel Kelly as a guest composer, performer and lecturer along with guest composer and lecturer Chris Becker. The festival consists of six music concerts along with many workshops, presentations, an outreach event and open rehearsal. All events will be held in the Conservatory of Music on Capital’s main campus in Bexley.

All concerts, lectures, workshops and demonstrations are free and open to the public. For more information, call 236-6226.

Author to sign his ‘Inventor’s Bible’

Join Ron Docie for his book signing, “The Inventor’s Bible: How to Market and License Your Brilliant Ideas” at Barnes & Noble, Easton from 5-7 p.m. on Monday. “The Inventor’s Bible” is a culmination of Docie’s 25 years of experience.

This book shows building inventors and entrepreneurs how to simplify the commercialization process, navigate the licensing maze and distinguish valuable resources from costly scams.

Docie’s comprehensive, step-by-step resource makes it easy to research the market, develop a strategy and take ideas from concept to profit in record time. For more information, call 476-8489.

Dark Star Orchestra to play at Newport

Dark Star Orchestra, Grateful Dead Recreationists, will be at the Newport Music Hall at 9 p.m. on Saturday. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the cost is $15.50 in advance and $17.50 at the door. For more information, call 294-1657.

Dublin Arts Center opens doors Sunday

The long awaited Dublin Arts Center, 7125 Riverside Drive, opens to the public Sunday.

There will be an opening reception honoring the Center’s first two exhibitions, “Japanese Kites in Traditional Style” and “The Path of the Brush: Traditional and Contemporary Japanese Brush Calligraphy.”

For more information, call 889-7444.

‘Meeting’ portrays lives of black leaders

The Columbus Museum of Art, 480 E. Broad St., in collaboration with The King Arts Complex, will present the full-length version of “The Meeting” beginning today. The powerful drama is centered on two of the most controversial and influential black leaders of the 20th century, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X.

The two are portrayed in this electrifying one-act fictional dramatic play. During the play the lives of both men will reveal a series of illuminating contrasts involving family, class, religion, education and leadership.

This play was written by critically acclaimed author Jeff Stetson and directed by Columbus’ own James Kevin Mathis. For more information, call Lyn Grimes at 629-0357.

-Compiled by Ravenn Moore