Dave Sorenson, a former Ohio State basketball player, died of cancer Tuesday in Findlay, Ohio. He was 54.

“He was a great teammate and an even better friend,” said Bill Hosket, Sorenson’s former teammate.

Sorenson started at center for OSU from 1968-1970. He lettered three times. He earned All-Big Ten honors twice and received an honorable mention for All-American in 1969.

“My fondest memory of David was that shot he made against Kentucky to send us to the Final Four,” Hosket said. “That may have been the greatest shot in OSU history, when you consider the consequences of him making it.”

Sorenson was the Buckeyes’ leader in points and rebounds in both his junior and senior years. His 1,622 career points rank eighth at OSU while his 761 career rebounds rank seventh.

“When he would smile, it lit up the locker room,” Hosket said. “He probably got his nickname, Sonny, from us.”

Sorenson is survived by his wife Wanda, his mother Viola Peterson, sons Andrew and Stephen and sister Carroll Campbell.

The funeral will be held Saturday at the Evangelical Freedom Church in Findlay. Viewing services for the former Buckeye captain will be held Friday from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m.

“It has been a tough situation, but it was a pleasure to play with him,” Hosket said.