New measures are being taken to ensure all students are covered under a health plan.

Students enrolled at least part time at Ohio State will be required to provide proof of insurance coverage during registration of classes. The program is still in a constructive phase.

“It is not going to be a (mandatory) part of registration until autumn 2003,” said Zach Waymer, program coordinator for Student Health Insurance.

Coinciding with these new procedures, Student Health Services at OSU has also enhanced the health insurance program, which will take effect during the upcoming autumn quarter.

“The (new) plan will really help international students and students studying abroad,” said Ricky Morant, a senior in athletic training and a Student Health Services student assistant. “It is really strongly suggested that international students have insurance.”

The program will continue to give different options and levels of coverage.

It will increase benefits for students studying abroad and international students.

The new program will also increase repatriation benefits from $7,500 to $15,000. The new additions to these programs do not come without a price.

The Comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan and the Medical Only Insurance Plan have increased quarterly costs. WilceCare Supplement Student Health Care Plan is the only plan not changing prices.

“In terms of the design of the plan, the changes were to expand benefits and keep costs down,” said Diane Plumly, associate director for Student Health Services.

“Most changes seem to affect students studying abroad or those using non-network service,” said John Fisher, a third-year in the electrical engineering doctorate program at OSU and is covered under the student health insurance. “I think that it is interesting that non-OSU insured students may spontaneously have to provide proof of insurance.”