Stomping, clapping, slapping and chanting. This is no simple dance – this is step.

The 16th Annual Pan-Hellenic Black Greek Step Show will take place from 7 to 10:30 tonight at Mershon Auditorium. The step show, which drew a record crowd of 4,000 last year, is considered by many to be the highlight of the African American Heritage Festival.

“In keeping with the festival’s theme of ‘ahali,’ which means family in Swahili, this year will be an exhibition show instead of a competition,” said step show co-chairwoman Danielle Huland. Organizers of this year’s show decided to bring the focus back to the fun of stepping.

Created by black fraternities and sororities in the early 20th century, stepping is a complex dance form that grew out of African American tradition.

The dance involves clapping hands against various parts of the body and stomping feet loudly to produce a rhythmic percussion. Teams synchronize these body movements and incorporate aspects of singing, chanting and speaking.

For this year’s show, each team has a maximum of 12 minutes to perform its routine. All five black fraternities at OSU – Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Phi Beta Sigma, Kappa Alpha Psi and Iota Phi Theta – will participate. Of the four black sororities at OSU, Alpha Kappa Alpha will definitely participate, while the other three are still possibilities.

“Stepping gives greeks an opportunity to show others our tradition, what we have grown to know and love about our organizations,” said Tara Hawthorne, president of OSU’s Pan-Hellenic Council and member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. “It also gives greeks the opportunity to show off their talents and be creative when they perform.”

Each team decides on a theme for its presentation, and the team’s step master is in charge of creating and teaching them the choreography. Each team also chooses costumes appropriate to whatever its theme may be.

The success of a step show depends largely on the enthusiasm of its audience. Teams will often call out for a response from the audience, or specifically to members of their greek organization in the audience.

“It’s no fun if it’s not loud,” said Monique Murphy, step master and member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. “We want to feel like we’re entertaining people.”

Because this year is non-competitive, the teams will not be judged. A trophy will be awarded to the team receiving the most applause.

“Some of the steps are made up by people in the organizations, so to be able to show our talent in that aspect and have people enjoy it is a great feeling,” Hawthorne said.

Stepping has cultural roots in the tribal dances performed in West Africa and is thought to have been brought to America with the slave trade. The musical strategies of hand patting and foot stomping were explained as a response to slaveholders’ prohibition of drums.

Black greek fraternities and sororities used these methods in their creation of stepping in later American society. Over the past 50 years, stepping has grown to incorporate elements of popular artistic forms such as military drills, martial arts, hip hop and tap dancing.

Following this year’s show will be an after party from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. at the Ohio Union Ballroom. Organizers hope the after party will provide a safe place for people to have fun in a non-alcoholic environment.

“We usually try to have an outlet for people after the show,” said Chibundu Nnake, step show co-chairman and vice president of the Iota Phi Theta fraternity. “It’s a way that they can still party and stay safe.”

Tickets for this year’s step show and after-party are $12 for students who show their BuckID at the Mershon-Wexner Center Ticket Office, and $15 for the general public through Ticketmaster. Individual tickets to the after party are $8 and will be sold at the door until midnight. From every ticket sold, $2 will go to the YMCA Eldon W. Ward Branch to help pay for day care and summer camp for low-income families.