Innocence and naivety become the lost attributes of children as they pass into the dark world of adulthood. Such is the predicament in “Übung,” the innovative debut of the Belgian theater ensemble, Victoria.

“The show is an international hit and the Wexner Center is presenting its U.S. premiere,” said Karen Simonian, spokeswoman for Wexner Center of the Arts.

“Übung” opened yesterday and runs until Saturday. The production is a black box show with child actors, 11-13 years old.

Innovation is the creative premise for the show’s thematic approach. A film in Flemish of an adult dinner party serves as the backdrop for the child actors to mimic their behavior, dress and dialogue.

“There is an added subtext to the film,” said Eric Pepple, spokesman for the Wexner. ” It’s sort of a disconnection between children and adults. The older you get doesn’t neccesarily mean that you mature. Maturity is a matter of how you handle issues and concerns.”

The title “Übung” is Flemish for “Practice.” The children practice how to become adults by imitating the behavior displayed in the film.

This central theme of imitation and adult influence gives the show a dark realistic view into the inevitable transition of childhood into adulthood.

“You see young kids when they’re innocent and then you see what they’ll likely become as adults,” said Chuck Helm, performing arts director. “Someone young and sweet becomes someone who cheats on his wife or gets drunk and starts an argument.”

The adults in the film dine in a luxurious villa with the normal guidelines for proper etiquette and behavior.

However, as the party progresses, the adults become intoxicated and their arguments fill the screen with animosity.

The children mimic this behavior, becoming a mirror image of these “pathetic adults,” Simonian said.

The performance also highlights the importance of adults to be responsible.

“It’s not about choosing to be a role model, what we do is observed and copied,” Helm said.

Simonian agrees that adults have an extrodinary impact on younger generations.

“Adults don’t realize what kind of effect they’re having on children around them,” Simonian said.

“Übung” is a thematic piece that brings innovative avant garde theater to the university community.

“It is important that we see the best international work that is available,” Helm said. “People deal with contemporary theater in new ways.”

The conceptual layers of theater and film showcase innovation and social concern.

“There is a humorous side to the piece with the juxtoposition of children to adults, but it’s very pointed humor,” Helm said. “It leaves you with a bit of sadness. This is how kids learn realities of becoming an adult.”