It has been almost a year since five students died in a fire at 64 E. 17th Ave., and the investigation is still ongoing.

The fire took the lives of two Ohio State students; Alan Schlessman, 21; Kyle Raulin, 20; and three Ohio University students; Erin Demarco, 19; Andrea Dennis, 20; Christine Wilson, 19.

A billboard was put up yesterday across the street from the Lennox shopping center’s Target in hope of obtaining more information related to the investigation. Families, friends of the victims and city officials attended the unveiling of the billboard. The billboard’s designer, Lee Estep of Columbus College of Art and Design, was also present.

Prior to the billboard unveiling, there was a gathering at the Fawcett Center where the victims’ families joined in prayer, asking for God’s help in finding the perpetrator of this crime.

“There are four more billboards scheduled to go up in the university area. One will be going up on 12th Avenue, another will be placed at 17th Avenue, and the location of the other two is still not known,” said Kevin Miles, president of the Central Ohio Crime Stoppers.

Along with the billboard unveiling, 500 posters donated by Clear Channel will be placed throughout the university area, Miles said.

The Columbus Division of Police and Franklin County prosecutors office are actively pursuing the investigation with the aid of the FBI.

“As the investigation continues, if there are individuals in the university area with information – no matter how small the information – people should contact the police or fire department,” said Ron O’Brien, Franklin County prosecutor.

Both O’Brien and Columbus police detective, Mike McCann, said Robert Patterson, who was arrested and released last summer because of a lack of evidence for an indictment, remains a suspect in the case.

“The investigation is ongoing in all regards; Patterson is still a person whose activities the night of the fire, the morning after and for sometime after the fire are still of interest,” O’Brien said.

The Columbus police share O’Brien’s interest in Patterson.

“Patterson was, and remains, our prime suspect. Him being released did not change that,” McCann said.

The Columbus police will pursue whatever avenue they need to take in order to obtain evidence, McCann said.

Crime Stoppers’ involvement continues to increase because of House Bill 49, which passed yesterday, Miles said. According to the bill, for every criminal conviction, $1 goes to area Crime Stoppers.

At one time, the reward for information regarding the arson was $37,000, but Crime Stoppers will no longer release the amount of the reward until everyone donating verifies their contribution.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call 645-8477.