Poetic expression and social charity combined last Thursday night at the Southside Settlement House. The former Poet Laureate of the United States, Robert Pinsky, conducted a free reading of his most noted poems.

Pinsky, Poet Laureate from 1997-2000, was on hand as part of the Settlement’s second annual fundraiser event, called “A Celebration of Poetry and Poets.”

The readings were open to the public and were followed by an intimate discussion of his poetry and an autograph session, as well as a reception hosted by Pinsky and the Settlement House workers.

“We are delighted to have a poet of Mr. Pinsky’s stature,” said Mari Sunami, executive director and CEO of the Settlement House. “Mr. Pinsky’s poetry draws upon the broad spectrum of the human experience. That in and of itself is an ideal example of the house’s objective.”

Robert Pinsky was appointed the Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry of the United States, the highest honor a U.S. poet can receive, in 1997. The position is awarded by the Librarian of Congress and carries a term of October to May.

According to the Library of Congress’ Web site, the Poet Laureate “serves as the nation’s official lightning rod for the poetic impulse of Americans.” During his or her term the Poet Laureate seeks to raise the awareness of poetry and make it more accessible to the American people.

David Citino, professor of English at Ohio State, says Pinsky’s poetry is so accessible because the poet is in tune with the people and doesn’t write for a strictly academic audience.

“I think he is an amazing poet,” said Citino. “He has translated some of the greatest works of literature, including The Inferno of Dante, and I believe he is responsible for the resurgence of popularity in poetry in America.”

As part of his work as Poet Laureate Pinsky founded the Favorite Poem Project. It is a collection of poems of all genres submitted to Pinsky by more than 18,000 Americans.

The project has spawned two anthologies containing reprints of more than 200 submitted poems, the Favorite Poem Project Videos, reading tours of the United States and a highly trafficked Web site, favoritepoem.org.

The Settlement House believes that along with donations, volunteer work and philanthropy, art of all forms contributes to the improvement of the human condition.

“Art and poetry, especially that of Mr. Pinsky, is an essential part of our effort here at the house” said Sunami. “People are made up of more than just their physical self; they need to be enriched in other ways as well.”

The Southside Settlement House was founded in 1899 by a group of female members of the Women’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The group started a kindergarten in their church and provided shelter and food for the poverty stricken youth of South Columbus.

The project continued to grow and was recognized by the Methodist Church in 1910. The program expanded in 1925 to make room for a manual school for boys along with a dental clinic and library, as well as citizenship and literacy classes for immigrants to the region.

“The south side of Columbus was the first area of Columbus that immigrants came to when they started migrating here,” said David Hetzler, program director of the Settlement House.

“The Settlement House has a very philosophical approach to helping others,” Hetzler said. “The philosophy of the Settlement House has carried over many generations and provided a sense of community and connectedness.”

Among the many services at the Settlement House are the community outreach and free lunch programs. It also offer employment services and computer education classes.

“We provide daily resources, food and clothes to those who show their need for it,” Sunami said. “We also offer an after-school program and a residential summer camp.”

The philosophy and expansion of the Settlement House depends on the support of the community and most importantly, the arts. Last year Stephen Dunn, a Pulitzer Prize winner, hosted the fundraising events.

All proceeds from the Pinsky function will benefit the Settlement House.

“When you start a community program such as the Settlement House humanness is often missing,” Hetzler said. “We as workers tend to be disconnected, providing only for their day-to-day lives and families and not offering them anything for their hearts as well. But at the Settlement House we live by the philosophy that our souls are hungry and need nourishment along with food.”