Economist says jobs are coming

(THE INDIANA DAILY STUDENT) BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Two prominent economists spoke Thursday at the Monroe Bank’s third-Annual Economic Forum at the Ruth N. Halls Theatre to discuss the current mutual fund scandal and the U.S. economy’s “jobless recovery.”

Charles Trzcinka, the James and Virginia Cozad chair of finance at the Kelley School of Business, and Mark Vitner, vice president and senior economist with Wachovia Securities, delivered two separate addresses to an audience of about 200 people.

While Trzcinka spoke about unethicalities regarding mutual investors, Vitner had words about the economy.

Vitner suggested that the much-touted “jobless recovery” is officially over. He said the U.S. economy would add about 350,000 new jobs when employment data is released on June 4, and 3.3 million new jobs would be created in 2004.

He said he attributed the recovery in the U.S. economy to the Bush tax cuts, the stimulatory effects of increased defense purchasing and the easy money policy of the Fed.

Vitner also said 99 percent of jobs being sent overseas were low-paying, unskilled jobs.

“We have been losing the least productive jobs, and the reason why is because benefit costs have been rising faster than wages and salary,” he said.

Palmer St. party ends quietly

(The Post) ATHENS, Ohio – Athens Police shut down four parties on Palmer Street this weekend, marking the first time the nuisance party ordinance has been used since its passing in March.

The four houses that received nuisance party citations were 2, 3, 5 and 7 Palmer St. The rest of the city remained relatively calm, and no further noise complaints were received about Palmer Street, according to a press release from Athens Police Chief Richard Mayer.

In addition to the citations, 106 people were arrested during the annual Palmerfest street party. A total of 36 people were jailed and an additional 70 people were arrested and released throughout the day. Most of the arrests were for alcohol-related violations, including open container and underage consumption. The release also listed one assault occurring away from Palmer Street.

While the Palmer Street area became busy at about 10:30 p.m., the parties began dissipating at about 11:30 p.m. By 1:30 a.m., most officers had moved uptown to patrol near the bars, Mayer said in the release.

During last year’s Palmerfest, more than 100 arrests were made. One rape and three assaults also occurred at last year’s event.

Palmerfest expenses were $15,000 for city police, $33,000 for outside police officers, $3,500 for booking and transport costs and $2,000 for other costs. These amounts do not include non-police city employees and Ohio University police officers.

Search is on for new Mich St. dean

(THE MICHIGAN DAILY) ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The recent resignation of Ed Willis, dean of students, has left a large void in the University of Michigan’s community, students and administrators said.

Willis worked with student groups to help them achieve their goals and acted as a liaison between students and administrators. His departure leaves many student groups without a supervisor, a problem the university hopes to fix by fall term, said E. Royster Harper, vice president for student affairs.

Willis took part in numerous committees such as the Diversity Committee, Greek Life, Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Affairs, Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs and the Office of Student Activities and Leadership, Harper said.

In the next three to four weeks, Harper will initiate a transitional plan to fill Willis’ position that will direct student units to their new supervisor and appoint an interim dean.

Willis said in an e-mail to his colleagues last week his reasons for resignation were personal and family-related, and it was a decision that administrators said they support.

Yanni receives honorary degree

(THE MINNESOTA DAILY) MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – Musical composer and University of Minnesoto alumnus Yanni received an honorary doctoral degree in humane letters Thursday night at the University Alumni Association’s 100th anniversary gala.

The well-known songwriter graduated from the university in 1976 with a psychology degree, but he also pursued his love of music while making his way through school.

“I would sneak into the music department and go in empty practice rooms,” he said. “I played there until somebody kicked me out.”

He did, however, benefit from studying psychology. He said he learned to speak English in his introductory psychology class.

The evening’s theme was “Changing the World One Graduate at a Time,” and Yanni encapsulated that perfectly, said Alumni Association Executive Director Margaret Carlson.

“When we started to think about somebody who really symbolized how the University of Minnesota shaped their life and transformed their life, and they went on to change the world, Yanni seemed to be the person,” she said.

– compiled by Chris Hatala