With the help of over 100 dancers – and an additional 80 volunteers – the fourth annual BuckeyeThon raised $46,579.16 for the Children’s Hospital of Columbus and the Children’s Miracle Network this weekend.

The amount was short of the $50,000 goal and over $10,000 more than last year’s $36,042.06 total.

“We’re very proud,” said co-chair Holly Vance. “We’re $10,000 over last year, and I know they’ll be $10,000 above us next year.”

Vance, a senior in speech and hearing, said she participated in the 14-hour dance-a-thon to help more children smile.

“We are able to give the gift of happiness, so why not try,” she said.

Students enjoyed performances by Sean Benjamin and Stretch Lefty, a reggae, hip-hop and funk band.

The self-proclaimed “Buckeye Man,” a man who is no stranger to Ohio State or service, also stopped by.

Larry Lokai, a retired high school teacher and 1967 and 1973 graduate of OSU, attended BuckeyeThon for the first time this year to give away Buckeye necklaces.

Lokai said he enjoys visiting various OSU events. He has handed out 6,000 buckeye necklaces to OSU students and fans in the past four years.

He stays active with several student groups and also serves on the Urbana City Council. He was awarded the Best Buckeye Award at the 2004 Alumni Convention.

Returning BuckeyeThon participant Latoya Blakey performed with Dance Lynx Friday.

“I did it last year because I was told it was the best party you’ll ever go to,” she said.

Blakey, a sophomore in international business and Japanese, also said she hopes to perform again next year.

“Everything was great. I loved it,” Blakey said.

The festivities ended with a tribute to Vice President of Student Affairs Bill Hall.

“USG approached us and President Aftab Pureval suggested that this be a part of this year’s program, and we thought so as well,” said Susan Parks, co-director of BuckeyeThon.

Steering committee members Andrea Ruwe and Angie Myers said they were pleased with the turnout of family, faculty and staff members.

“It seems like a daunting task to plan the event, but in the end, it’s all worth it,” said Myers, who hopes to work as a physical therapist in a children’s hospital.