Deadline: October 17th, 2008

“Writers may want to reflect on the reasons to vote in general, the reasons to vote particularly this year, the issues of registering in time, filing absentee ballots if necessary, networking in innovative ways with other students at OSU, across Ohio and in other states through the Web, by phone or in person right up until election day. They may want to comment on the fact that young voters (18-25) have historically not turned out to vote as much as older voters (50 and older), and discuss how a large turnout by young voters may swing this election, particularly in battleground states.

Above all, I’m looking to spur voter participation and discussion among young voters – many of whom will be voting for the first time and encourage them to engage in the electoral process and take an active role in the responsibilities of citizenry. The issues that are central to the campaigns of both parties – the economy, health care, education, energy, global climate change, national security, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, among others – are particularly relevant to the lives and future of this young generation of voters. College students, especially, should be among the most informed and most articulate of their generation. I want their voices and concerns to be heard in this election and to continue to be heard in the future. I’m looking for fresh ideas, coupled with sparkling writing in thoughtful, provocative essays.”

Steve Wilstein, Retired Associated Press Columnist and Founder of 1,000 Words for $1,000.