Winter Involvement FairMuch smaller and more intimate than the Student Involvement Fair held during Welcome Week in September, the Winter Involvement Fair gives new and returning students a chance to meet people and learn about Ohio State’s 800 student organizations.

Knowlton School of Architecture7-9 p.m., Jan. 8 FreeContact Po-yee Pang at [email protected] for more information or to register an organization.

Girl Talk

Musician and DJ Gregg Gillis, better known as Girl Talk, will be coming to the Newport Music Hall on Jan. 17. Photo courtesy of Pitch Perfect PR.PHOTO COURTESY OF PITCH PERFECT PRMusician and DJ Gregg Gillis, better known as Girl Talk, will be coming to the Newport Music Hall on Jan. 17.
Pittsburgh native and pop DJ, Girl Talk began making music as a student at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. Known for his sampling and remixes of different songs to create new songs, Girl Talk will be at the Newport promoting his fourth full-length album, “Feed the Animals.”

Newport Music Hall7 p.m., Jan. 17$16 in advance; $18 at the door

Columbus Jazz Orchestra presents ‘Motown & the Birth of Soul’Coined as the “Motown sound” by legendary producer Berry Gordy, Motown Records produced hit after hit and built an empire like no other. With the assistance of award-winning saxophonist Kirk Whalum, CJO will recreate the sounds of breakthrough Motown artists such as Stevie Wonder and Diana Ross.

8 p.m., Jan. 16-17Southern Theater$5

MLK Day of ServiceHeld annually on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the MLK Day of Service honors King’s legacy with service opportunities for students on their day off of class. Participants receive breakfast, lunch and a T-shirt. Registration is on a first-come-first-serve basis.

8 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Jan. 19Locations vary

Ailey IIThe Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater has performed for an estimated 21 million people in 48 states and 71 countries across the globe. Bursting on the scene 50 years ago with Ailey’s revolutionary choreography, the dance company has forever changed modern dance. The company will perform a diverse repertoire, including some of Ailey’s classic pieces.

8 p.m., Jan. 27Capitol Theater$20-$35

A Taste of OSUA Taste of OSU gathers more than 5,000 students, faculty, staff and alumni to celebrate culture and food. Complete with cultural performances, a dessert competition and food provided by 35 international and ethnic clubs on campus, this is an event sure to leave you hungry for more.

5-9 p.m., Jan. 30RPAC, Tom W. Davis Special Events GymAdmission is free

United Black World MonthThroughout the month, various events will be held to commemorate contributions to black culture. This year’s 39th annual celebration takes the theme of “The Quest for Black Citizenship in the Americas.” All student organizations are invited to join in the celebration by sponsoring a program, lecture or activity related to the theme.

The month of February Locations varyFreeFor more information, contact Christa Porter at 614-688-8449 or [email protected].

BuckeyethonApproaching it’s seventh year, Buckeyethon is a 14-hour dance marathon which has raised more than $200,000 for Nationwide Children’s Hospital. The dance hosts a number of games, activities and music to keep dancers on their toes. Gather a group of friends and register to participate. Group prizes are awarded throughout the event.

Feb. 28-Mar. 1Location: TBDFree