President Obama says he does not want to impose the Fairness Doctrine; a surprising statement from a man who has told Americans not to listen to Rush Limbaugh. What better way is there to hush Rush than to take him off the airwaves altogether?

The overall goal of the Fairness Doctrine is to monitor the views expressed on talk radio to ensure both sides of a political argument are represented. Radio stations must provide airtime to opposing views regardless of any political ideologies they may have. The most logical reason for this focus on the fairness of radio – and the reason that liberals will never directly address – is because conservatives own talk radio.

The Fairness Doctrine was first instituted in 1949 but was repealed in 1987 under the Reagan administration. The following year, something happened that was made possible because of the repeal. A man emerged onto the radio circuit, and he has acted as a splinter under the fingernails of the Democratic Party for more than two decades. That man is Rush Limbaugh, someone who has been crowned with such titles as “The Father of Talk Radio” and “The Voice of the Republican Party.”

Liberals have had stints behind studio microphones, nearly all resulting in failure. They have statistically proved over the years that they cannot compete with conservatives when it comes to talk radio. A group of Democrats, headed by Al Franken, attempted to launch a liberal radio program titled “Air America” as a counter to the conservative domination of the dial. It failed miserably. In fact, it had to be bailed out of bankruptcy by real estate tycoon Stephen L. Green.

Why does the Left so often swing and miss on the airwaves? The possible reasons are too many to count. Perhaps the demographic that listens to radio regularly does not want to listen to the message liberals convey. Maybe their most energetic disciples – today’s youth – see the radio as a caveman technology. Or it could possibly be that conservatives were pioneers in the radio business and set the bar out of reach. No matter the reason, liberals find themselves entrenched in the Limbaugh limbo.

If radio stations were forced to air liberal talk as often as, they would undoubtedly lose money and would likely rid themselves of talk radio altogether. Instead of hearing both sides of an issue, the public would not hear either side, which is the opposite of what the Fairness Doctrine is supposed to accomplish.

Also, who should determine what is fair and not fair on the radio? Democrats have the answer to this question, which is eerily similar to their answer to a lot of questions: the government.

President Obama has the jurisdiction to appoint the chair of the Federal Communications Commission following the term of the current FCC Commissioner, Republican Robert M. McDowell, in June of this year.

In this day in age, with the endless availability of resources for people to receive their news – radio, television, newspapers or Internet – regulating one division of media is not only unfair, it is highly unnecessary.

The potential passing of the Fairness Doctrine would not only mark the death of talk radio, it would mark the death of the First Amendment.

BradMilleris a sophomore in communication. He can be reached at [email protected].