Ohio State has begun the largest facilities and construction program in university history.

The Board of Trustees approved a 10-year project that includes the demolition of Means Hall, the MRI facility and the South Cannon Garage, all on the campus of the OSU Medical Center.

The $1 billion program, named Project One, is meant to support the growing demand for OSU Medical Center patient care, education and research services, according to a press release.

“As we get into setting the project, we have to prepare the site,” said Jay Kasey, executive program director of Project One.

The demolition of Means Hall, MRI and the South Cannon Garage will cost between $8 million and $10 million.

Included in the total cost of the demolition project is the construction of a new service tunnel to replace the Means Hall basement, re-cabling information services around the site, and the extraction and relocation of the MRI magnet, said David Crawford, director of Medical Center communications.

“The [demolition] will not fall outside of the Project One budget,” Kasey said.

Means Hall will close on June 1, and the offices in the building will move to the Gowdy Fields and Ackerman locations.

“The tenants are more than pleased to go to another place,” Kasey said. “The first phase of the demolition will begin with the east wing of Means Hall.”

Built in 1951, Means Hall has housed the departments of emergency medicine, internal medicine, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology and radiology.

“Project One is off and running,” said Alan W. Brass, member of the Board of Trustees.

The demolition will be completed in February 2011.

Amber Phelps can be reached at [email protected].