The university released a flurry of e-mails and press releases this weekend, announcing that a freshman student has likely contracted the swine influenza A (H1N1) virus. But some of his fellow residents at Stradley Hall say they were left out of the loop.

“We didn’t really even know about it, we didn’t have a hall meeting or anything, they just put up flyers saying to wash your hands,” said Colleen Carey, a freshman pre-med student. “They should have told us.”

Many residents heard about the case through the rumor mill.

“At first we all thought it was a joke and then we found out it really happened,” said Cory Yaceczeko, a freshman in business. “Kids are all still joking about it, every time someone coughs it’s like, ‘oh he’s got the swine flu.’ “

Residents said their parents are also concerned about how close the swine flu is hitting to home.

“My mom called me late Saturday night. I’m from Dayton and she saw it on the news and kind of freaked out,” said Ryan Boudouris, a freshman in finance. “I’m sure some of the parents were scared too because it was sibs weekend. It was just really bad timing.”

There are bulletins posted in Stradley Hall advising residents on the basics of germ prevention, but nothing specific to swine flu.

According to a press release from OSU, “The university is communicating with the 450 residents of Stradley Hall. In addition, individuals who had close contact with the student over the last two days are being notified. The student health center is offering prophylactic/preventive medication to those individuals.”

A sign Sunday on the OSU Medical Center main lobby door advises visitors to alert staff if they have traveled to a country with swine flu. Photo by Zach Tuggle.ZACH TUGGLE/THE LANTERNA sign Sunday on the OSU Medical Center main lobby door advises visitors to alert staff if they have traveled to a country with swine flu.

OSU held a clinic for ill students at the Wilce Student Health Center from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday.

Scott O’Rourke can be reached at [email protected].