The Ohio State football team has named seniors Kurt Coleman, Doug Worthington and Austin Spitler the captains for the 2009 season, coach Jim Tressel announced Friday.

Coleman was expected to be among the choices after starting the past two years at safety, and being recognized as one of the vocal leaders on the squad.

“This is an honor – I’m so blessed to be in this position,” he said. “It’s not just a title – I want to lead our team the best way I can to make sure we reach our potential.”

Worthington is expected to start at defensive tackle. After being charged with a DUI before the 2008 season, the fifth-year senior feels honored to receive such acclaim.

“It’s a blessing to be able to represent this team,” he said. “I’m just an extension of the seniors and coaching staff. It’s a great honor.”

Also a fifth-year senior, Spitler is projected to start at linebacker after serving as a backup to James Laurinaitis for several years.

“I’m honored and truly grateful to be in this position,” he said. “I want to lead this team to best of my abilities; hopefully we’ll go far.”

The team also announced it will designate an offensive captain for each game. Senior tackle Jim Cordle, widely predicted to be one of the regular captains, will likely be an option at some point during the season.

This marks the first occasion since 2002 in which only defensive players were elected team captains. In that championship season, safeties Mike Doss and Donnie Nickey headed the Buckeye attack.