It’s been four years since Ashley Bowyer and Lauren Robertson first put on an Ohio State uniform.

Now, with just two games remaining in the regular season, the only two seniors on the Buckeye women’s soccer team are looking to go out with a bang.

The Buckeyes (13-2-2, 6-1-1) are atop the Big Ten standings and are preparing to play Sunday at home against Indiana.

Bowyer and Robertson, both from California, have made significant contributions to the program over the course of their careers, coach Lori Walker said.

“Any time that we can bring special players from out of state into your program, you’re looking for something you don’t have here in your back yard,” Walker said. “It’s been fun to watch them grow and mature over the last four years.”

Bowyer, a midfielder, has three goals this season, including a game-winner against Minnesota, and is tied for first on the team with four assists. 

Robertson, the team’s goalkeeper, has played every minute for the Buckeyes this year. She will leave OSU holding both the single-season and career records for shutouts.  
However, Walker said their intangibles are what make them so special.

“What Ashley has brought to our program is competitiveness,” Walker said. “She’s just a winner. [Robertson] brings competitiveness as well, and a tremendous training ethic. I think they are both very special,” she said.

For Robertson, the end of the season brings mixed emotions.

“At the end of the day it’s sad and it’s kind of hard because it’s your senior season and you’re about to be done,” Robertson said. “But at the same time, this team has done so much work over the years to get to the point that we’re at. I think I’m just excited right now and really looking forward to a big game.”

The Buckeyes are a lock to make the NCAA tournament even without the automatic bid given to the conference champion. Indiana, however, comes into this weekend’s game hoping to play their way into the tournament.

With the extra motivation, the Hoosiers are a scary opponent, Bowyer said.

“They are trying to fight for an NCAA tournament bid so they’re going to be coming out hard,” Bowyer said. “We need to come out just as hard.”

Even though Indiana is just 2-2-2 in the conference, Walker expects a challenge.
“Indiana is always a tough opponent for us,” Walker said. “There is no game in the Big Ten that’s easy and this is right up that alley.”