The Ohio State men’s soccer team has had success thanks to great play from its goalkeepers, especially from redshirt freshman Matt Lampson.

“He has been playing very well lately,” coach John Bluem said. “I think Matt has taken the position now, it’s going to be his and he is going to try and hold onto it.”

The freshman stepped up early in the season and helped guide OSU to its best start in school history.

A week ago, the Big Ten named Lampson the conference’s defensive player of the week because of his stellar play against Michigan State.

On the season Lampson has three shutouts and .93 goals against average.

But Lampson is not the only goalkeeper OSU has on its roster, and Bluem is confident in every one of the young keepers. The Buckeyes have three solid goalies who could potentially take the starting job.

Other then Lampson, the Buckeyes have redshirt sophomore Ryan Dalton, who has been seeing more and more play time because of his solid play.

OSU also has a true freshman in Alex Wimmer, who is ready to go when his number is called. Had Wimmer not been injured at the beginning of the season, he would have challenged for the starting spot.

Coming into the season, Bluem worried his team might be inexperienced at goalie.

“No worries anymore,” Bluem said. “Wimmer is ready to go if we need him, Dalton has played really well in the times we used him and Lampson is in really good form right now. I am very pleased at the way they have been playing.”

The Buckeyes, however, are in the middle of a tough stretch of games.

The team has lost its last two games, 3-0 to Akron and 1-0 to Northwestern. After the Northwestern loss, Bluem questioned the team’s level of effort.

“It’s a tough stretch. Hopefully we can address some things and come out with a more intense effort,” Bluem said.

With a full schedule ahead, the team wants get back on the field quickly and perform better. OSU is hoping that is the case when they face Cleveland State on Friday.

Cleveland State (3-4-3) comes into the game struggling on offense, scoring only one goal in its last three games.

But with 11 seniors and the entire defense returning, the Buckeyes will have to be ready.
Friday’s match will be played at 5 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.