The classic silent vampire film “Nosferatu” will be given new blood tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. in the Ohio State University Urban Arts Space at 50 W. Town St.

Columbus musicians Jay Harmon, Mark Dutton and Nathan Andrew, the Francis Bacon Band, created an original soundtrack that will be performed live during the free film screening.

“We watched the movie on mute and came up with abstract ideas of different emotions we wanted to convey with different styles of music,” said Harmon, 22. “We wanted to approach each scene with an abstract concept and improvise those into something solid.”

Nicole Eggert, a in film studies who works at the OSU Urban Arts Space, approached Harmon with the project.

“Just by coincidence I met him last December at the Arts Space, so I knew he was involved with music,” Eggert said. “After deputy director Kelly Stevelt asked student workers for ideas, I thought showing ‘Nosferatu’ with a live band soundtrack would be fitting for Halloween.”

The 1922 movie, directed by German expressionist F. W. Murnau, is an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Taking on this project, Harmon said it was his first time seeing the black-and-white film.

“I never saw it until a week before we started practicing,” Harmon said. “And I haven’t heard the original soundtrack yet because I want to keep my own perceptions of it. I’m interested to hear how it sounds after we perform our version.”

The band members, who have been involved with bands and music since high school, continually change parts of the 80 minute composition as new ideas are introduced.

“We go through the movie about two times per practice with plenty of stopping,” he said. “We’re still always adding new stuff and we actually just changed the ending.”

The screening will also mark the release of Jay Harmon and the Francis Bacon Band’s first album, “Unsafe in Any Skin,” which will be sold on vinyl only.

“It’ll be kind of different,” Harmon said. “I put the album artwork in the hands of an amazing artist who’s been hard at work hand-painting all of them differently.”

Eggert said the 10,000 square-feet multi-purpose art space will have chairs set up with a portable screen and projector for their recreational screening open to the public.

“The event will run until 8 p.m. and it’ll be more of an informal environment with open space, where people can come and go as they please,” she said.

The free film screening is part of the OSU Urban Arts Space after-work programming, with events held Thursday evenings in conjunction with Tip Top Kitchen & Cocktails.