The Ohio State women’s volleyball team upset No. 7 Minnesota, 3-0, Saturday night at St. John Arena. 

The Buckeyes are 18-7 overall and 6-6 in the Big Ten.   

The night’s biggest contributor was outside hitter Katie Dull.

Dull has consistently achieved match-high kills and digs. Against Minnesota, she recorded 10 kills and 12 digs. She also posted a team-high 12.5 points. 

Dull plays an aggressive offense, but her focus is on her defensive angle in the back row.

“I always want to make my strong points better and focus on making my weak points good,” Dull said. 

Her defensive efforts are evident in her kills and digs, posting double-digit numbers in both in 22 of the last 24 matches.

“I’m happier with my digging numbers rather than my hitting numbers because it’s something that I know is one of my weaker parts of my game,” Dull said.

On the defensive side, Dull is ranked third in kills in the Big Ten.

“I absolutely love competing in the Big Ten because I get to compete against the best players in the country,” Dull said.

The Big Ten consistently has the most ranked teams in the top 25, making it the most competitive volleyball conference.

OSU was the perfect fit for Dull, as she committed to play volleyball as a sophomore at Walsh Jesuit High School in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. 

Last year, Dull received an honorable mention in the Big Ten.

“It really resonated with me. To be recognized in one of the top conferences was an honor,” Dull said. 

Despite season-long success, Dull isn’t completely satisfied. The team has yet to reach its highest goals as it pushes into the second half of the season.

The victory over Minnesota is the Buckeyes’ first win over a ranked opponent this season. The team is battling back for a spot in the top 25. 

The Buckeyes travel to face Iowa on Friday night and Wisconsin on Saturday night.