The first batch of swine flu vaccinations is expected to arrive in Ohio today amid a widespread outbreak on the Ohio State campus.

Since the beginning of Fall Quarter, Ohio State has logged 300 cases of probable swine flu, with an increase in cases each week, said Dr. Roger Miller, a preventive-medicine physician at the Wilce Student Health Center. Although no students have been hospitalized due to the illness, three students were referred to the emergency room for treatment.

Despite the outbreak, most classes have continued as usual, with relatively few faculty and staff reporting illness, said Robert Armstrong, director of emergency management.

Gov. Ted Strickland announced Wednesday that state health officials have ordered 61,000 doses of FluMist, a nasal spray vaccination for swine flu. Dr. Alvin Jackson, director of the Ohio Department of Health, said the first wave of vaccinations is expected to be available in Ohio today.

“We’re going to get the first shipment for health care workers and those who provide care for sick people,” Jackson said at the governor’s news conference. “After that, within a week or so, we will start incrementally getting our doses” for the public.

Strickland also signed an emergency proclamation Wednesday allowing health care facilities to disperse the state’s stock of flu treatment in case manufacturers run low.

OSU officials requested 500 doses of the swine flu vaccination, but the university has asked for injectable doses, which are expected to roll out shortly after the FluMist nasal spray. The first to get the shots at OSU will be high-risk students, such as pregnant women, who are advised not to get the nasal vaccination because it contains a live form of the virus.

With football season in full swing, the Buckeyes have been struggling to stay on the field.

Coach Jim Tressel announced Tuesday that offensive linemen Mike Adams and Andrew Miller are among “five or six” players out with the flu.

“We’re not the lone rangers,” Tressel said. “Everyone around the country and the community have the same issues.”

Center Mike Brewster was out for two days last week with the flu, but recovered in time to play against Indiana on Saturday.

Miller and Jackson suggest that younger people receive vaccinations for both the swine flu and seasonal flu. The Student Health Center has a full stock of seasonal flu vaccinations, Miller said, and offers a walk-in program as well as vaccinations by appointment.

Since the virus emerged last April there have been four confirmed swine flu deaths in Ohio. Since Aug. 31, there have been 32 people in the state hospitalized with confirmed swine flu.