Three months ago, Anton Stralman was preparing for his third NHL season with Calgary after being traded from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Last week, the 23-year-old Blue Jackets defenseman scored a power play goal against his former team as Columbus went on to win at home, 2-1, against the Flames.

Stralman has been one key to the franchise’s 5-1 start this season and coach Ken Hitchcock is impressed with what he has seen.

“He makes very few errors with the puck and I was surprised by that,” Hitchcock said. “You thought a guy that has skill plays with more wrists, but he’s a smart player. He doesn’t make mistakes and that helps us because he gets us out of trouble.”

Columbus received Stralman on Sept. 28 from Calgary in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft. He registered one goal and 12 assists for 13 points in 38 games with the Maple Leafs last season and has 23 total points in 92 career NHL games.

“He does those little things that impact the game in a big way and our players notice it on the bench,” Hitchcock said. “They are constantly telling him about the great plays he’s making out there with the puck. It’s something that you need as a team and I think the players appreciate it that he gets us out of trouble so much.”

The native of Tibro, Sweden, has not only helped the Jackets defensively to the highest penalty killing percentage in the league at 95.83 percent, but led the team to a win against a tough Calgary squad with his first goal of the season.

“It’s always kind of special to score because it doesn’t happen that often,” Stralman said. “This is a real easy group to come into and play hockey. Obviously being in Calgary for a couple months makes it a little more special. I know all the guys. It was for a short period of time, but it’s always fun to score against a former team.”

Stralman is looking for a place to call home and Columbus could be just that.

“He adds a lot to our team,” Hitchcock said. “We haven’t had a right shot, who can snap it from the top, on the right side on the five-on-fours for a long time. He was pretty excited when he scored the goal. He’s feeling like if he can continue to play at this pace, there is a spot for him here. He’s a good add for us.”

Now, the Jackets hit their second West Coast road trip of the season with four games in a six day period.

Columbus starts the trip against Stralman’s former team, Calgary, at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday before battling the Oilers in Edmonton Thursday. The Jackets will then play against the Ducks Saturday and the Kings Sunday.

With top defensemen Mike Commodore and Jan Hejda out with injuries, Stralman and the rest of the defense will need to continue to perform well to give Columbus a chance for a successful road swing.

“We are the sum of parts,” Hitchcock said. “Different people step up for us all the time right now and it’s really helping us win hockey games. There is somebody in our locker room that can make a difference, it isn’t the same guy.  That’s where our confidence comes from.”