Plans to increase the number of international students and faculty at Ohio State will be discussed at the OSU Board of Trustees meeting today.

A report by the Office of Academic Affairs will present a set of goals to the board, including a rule that would require 50 percent of students to gain international experience before they graduate.

The report requests funding from the university and third-party vendors to provide students with scholarships to study abroad.

Among the presenters will be William Brustein, vice provost for global strategies and international affairs.

Brustein, hired in July for his expertise in global affairs, and other employees at the Office of Academic Affairs will discuss how to draw more international students, aiming for an increase of 50 percent.

There are currently 4,000 international students enrolled at OSU, representing 107 countries, according to the report. The Office of Academic Affairs wants to raise that number of students to 6,000.

The office also wants to add technology-enhanced courses to the curriculum. Some courses already host video conferences in the classroom — something the office wants to see more of.

The initiative is already endorsed by the Board of Trustees, according to the report, and university officials are creating a timeline to monitor the changes presented in the report.

The Office of Academic Affairs is also developing offices where international scholars and students can go to for financial help, travel, communication, business and human resources issues.

Parts of the report will be presented in committee meetings to the Board of Trustees today. Personnel from the Office of Academic Affairs were out of the office and unavailable for comment.