Christmas is coming early to the Ohio State University with A Joyful Christmas, a concert featuring singer Romina Arena and art by Jim Shore.

Shore’s art will be given a literal voice thanks to Arena, the 29-year-old credited with being the first female pop opera, or Popera artist. Shore is more commonly known as “Mr. Christmas,” because his art mainly deals with holiday themes and images. According to his Web site, he uses different mediums, such as quilting and sculpture, to construct his art.

Arena composed music specially for Shore’s artwork, in order to translate the theme of Christmas hope into song. For Arena, hope and inspiration of the Christmas season is something that people should feel year round.

During the concert, she will perform her new compositions as well as classical Christmas songs.

Arena said she hopes that attendees will leave the theater with “a beautiful, content feeling.”

In everything Arena does she hopes to inspire those around her. Positive energy radiates from her voice, she said.

At the age of 16, Arena was brutally attacked and left for dead. She said she “bounced back” after the attack and found her life’s purpose: inspiring others. Self-described as “An Italian woman with an American heart,” Arena said she represents a beacon of hope for people of all backgrounds and nationalities.

“No matter what you are going through you can change things,” she said.
For the popera founder, everything in life is about positive energy and feeling that there are many wonderful and exciting things that can and will occur. She never forgets those in need of such positive thoughts and even wrote a song inspired by the troops overseas. While Shore was unavailable for interview, Arena adamantly expressed Shore’s shared interest and inspiration in the courage of the troops. Arena describes Shore as “a warm loving man” and an artist who “is so magical.”

For more information on Arena, students can visit RominaArena.com.

Fans and newcomers can listen to Arena’s music and learn more about her life and upcoming concerts. For more information on Jim Shore and his artwork, students can visit jimshore.com.

A Joyful Christmas will be shown Nov. 27 at 7:30 p.m., Nov. 28 at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 29 at 3 p.m. at the Lincoln Theatre. Tickets cost $45 and can be purchased from Ticketmaster.