The Ohio Historical Society will be presenting their monthly program, Uncommon Ohio, on Dec. 6, highlighting interesting items from their museum.

December’s event will be running with a History Whatzit? theme that allows a more interactive tour as guest are given clues about particular items and then asked to guess what the item is or was used for.

“We try to make it very interactive. We know no one wants to be just lectured,” said Jennifer Rounds, public programs assistant at the Ohio Historical Society.

The History Whatzit? tour focuses on items that people do not recognize. For example, when someone says “pipsqueak” one does not usually think of a toy, and for that matter, does not know where the term even originated. This is one of the items that the Historical Society will be presenting and is encouraging people to find out about.

Guests will also find out the origins of the term “barfly.”

There can also see a selection of children’s clothing featured from the 1800’s and guests will be challenged to guess which items are for boys and which items are for girls.

“Its really fun because kid’s come up with the best guesses,” Rounds said.

The event will be moved from Sundays to Saturdays beginning in 2010, but the schedule is otherwise unchanged in the new year.

The event will take place at the Ohio Historical Center at 1892 Velma Rd. and two tours will run at 1 and at 3 p.m. Admission to the event is standard museum admission: $8 for adults, $7 for seniors and $4 for children.

Past tours have focused on Ohio inventions and oddities and these themes will run again. Also, a new tour, Seven Degrees of Ohio, is being planned, featuring items that seemingly have no relation to the Buckeye State.

The price of admission covers the entire museum for the day. Guest are free to check out other items on display.

The two-headed calves from a farm in Ohio are always a popular item in the museum and are included in the oddities tour, Rounds said.

A real mummy also makes its home in the museum and will be available for viewing on Sunday. A dentist from Dayton purchased the mummy in the early 19th century. She is more 2,200 years old and is one of the museum’s most popular attractions.