Some people truly bleed scarlet and gray ­— at least those who donate blood during the annual blood battle between Ohio State and the University of Michigan.

Beginning Nov. 1, this year’s competition marks the 28th time the schools have faced off against each other, with Michigan leading the all-time record with 15 victories.

At the onset of the competition, each school receives a target number of donations. The school that reaches the highest percentage of that quota is deemed the winner of the competition, said Heather Reichle, a spokeswoman for the American Red Cross. The goal this year for OSU is 2,400 donations.

The battle, which will end Nov. 20, consists of a series of blood drives, each with a different goal. The two schools have different ideas about how to collect blood.

“Ohio State has a lot more blood drives scheduled that have lower goals,” Reichle said. “Michigan, on the other hand, collects much larger amounts of blood at fewer drives.”

Michigan won last year’s competition after OSU had claimed the title for five consecutive years. As of Monday, Michigan leads this year’s battle and has collected 113.6 percent of its goal. OSU is trying to catch up, as it has collected only 94.8 percent.

Every time students donate blood this year, they are entered into a drawing for a pair of tickets to the OSU-Michigan game Nov. 21. Those who want to enter the drawing need to donate by Nov. 15.

“This is the fourth year that I’ve donated blood as part of the competition,” said Brian Freedman, a fourth-year in history.

Freedman has a rare blood type and says he feels it’s important to donate as often as possible.
“It’s made all the more special when it’s done for the cause of beating Michigan though,” Freedman said.
Anyone who wants to donate blood can attend any of the remaining drives, which are listed online at bloodsaveslives.org. Donors must be at least 17 years old and weigh at least 110 pounds.