Ohioans looking to prevent the H1N1 virus are at risk of getting a different virus ­— on their computers.

Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray has warned that Internet scammers posing as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are circulating an e-mail that advertises a “state vaccination H1N1 program.”

To register for the bogus program, the e-mail directs its recipient to click a link and create a personal vaccination profile. Clicking the link downloads a computer virus that can expose personal information to the scammers.

“Clicking on that link can unleash downloadable viruses capable of capturing your personal information and sending it back to the scam artist,” Cordray said in a statement.

The scam exploits fears surrounding the widespread H1N1 virus, which has led to the death of at least two Columbus residents, although the CDC only requires reports of pediatric deaths.

Vaccinations for the virus are available to the public at Columbus Public Health clinics. The Wilce Student Health Center at Ohio State offers vaccinations to high-risk groups, and other students can call to schedule a vaccination as long as the center has enough in its stock.

Information about vaccinations is available at columbuspandemicflu.com and flu.osu.edu.