Belly dancing and book writing will be among the various subjects taught at YWCA’s “So You Think You Can’t” mini classes Thursday, Nov. 19.

“The event is designed to empower women,” said Kristin Sutton, program assistant at the YWCA of Columbus.

This is the event’s second year. It will offer new classes and some of the more popular ones from last year.

One of the new additions is a class on social etiquette in other cultures. The class will focus on social etiquette in Somali, Hispanic and Asian cultures, among others. The class will also cover what to do in verbal and nonverbal communication situations.

Social networking has also been added to the program list this year.

Debra Jasper, director of the Kiplinger Program in Public Affairs Journalism at Ohio State, and Kiplinger Program Manager Betsy Hubbard will teach the class.

They will show people how to take advantage of social networking opportunities, gearing their lesson toward mature audiences and people less familiar with Internet networking.

“The YWCA has gotten really involved in social networking in the last few months. It’s not just for students anymore,” Sutton said.

The mini-classes about book writing and business startup have produced a lot of interest this year, Sutton said.

There will also be classes about financial planning and affordable travel.

Belly dancing and Zumba, a combination of dancing and aerobics that debuted in 2001, were popular events last year and will be offered again this year.

Each registrant can sign up to take part in two mini classes, and are asked to provide one alternate class in case of demand-related close outs. Each class will run an hour and 45 minutes and include a question session at the end. Refreshments will be provided.

Registration for the event is required at www.ywcacolumbus.com and costs $25. The event will take place at the YWCA at 65 S. Fourth St. from 5:30 to 8 p.m.