The Short North Arts District is a thriving artistic and retail environment located right next door to Ohio State’s campus. Monthly events, such as the Short North Gallery Hop, attract people from surrounding areas in hopes of promoting local arts, crafts, clothing and food.

This past year, several galleries in the Short North held quarterly seasonal open houses, but December’s open house has evolved into this year’s Holiday [s]Hop.

For the Holiday [s]Hop, participating galleries will extend business hours on Friday and Saturday, similar to additional hours on Gallery Hop weekends. Galleries that are not normally open on Sundays will be for the event. Patrons will also be able to find great holiday deals on art, and taste seasonal treats and goodies.

The Short North Business Association organized the Holiday [s]Hop and decided to expand on the regular seasonal gallery open houses that are held all year.

The Short North Holiday [s]Hop will showcase everything local that shops, galleries and restaurants have to offer. The weekend also falls on a Gallery Hop weekend, so patrons can enjoy the extended hours and specials that Gallery Hop normally offers on Saturday. The weekend of Holiday [s]Hop is also the 25th anniversary of Gallery Hop.

Studios on High Gallery is one of many businesses participating. Established in 1985, it is Columbus’ oldest artist-owned and operated gallery. Its exhibits are selected by jury, and the artists work on their art on-site.

“This provides a rare opportunity for art patrons to meet the artists personally and engage with their creative process,” said Marty Husted, an artist from Studios on High Gallery.

The gallery boasts 18 local artists working in a wide variety of media. During the holiday season, many SOHG artists create small, original artworks as a feature in their regular exhibits.

For the Holiday [s]Hop, SOHG plans to have member artists demonstrating and discussing their art. The gallery will also offer refreshments.

Studios on High will be open noon to 10:00 p.m. on Dec. 18 and 19.

Sunday hours are 1 to 6 p.m. Other galleries scheduled to participate include Mahan Gallery, The Art Exchange, Sherrie Gallery, Terra Gallery, Kathryn Gallery, Marcia Evans Gallery, Sharon Weiss Gallery and PM Gallery.

“It’s an opportunity to share member artists’ talents with the greater Columbus community during the holidays and to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Gallery Hop weekends,” Husted said.

The Short North Holiday [s]Hop will be at participating shops along High St. between fifth Avenue and Vine Street., Dec. 18 to 20. Participating galleries will have a silver balloon near their storefront to indicate extended hours.

The event is free and open to the public.